Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Eisenhower D-Day letter

Article about: This was in my fathers collection. I believe it to be authentic, I know he's had it for at least 20+ years. Can anyone comment on what they may know about these? I see lots of reproductions

Default Eisenhower D-Day letter

This was in my fathers collection. I believe it to be authentic, I know he's had it for at least 20+ years.

Can anyone comment on what they may know about these? I see lots of reproductions for sale on ebay....
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Eisenhower D-Day letter  

Default Re: Eisenhower D-Day letter

Hi,
    It looks good to me and I have had several dozen originals in last 30 yrs.
    The repros only really started in last few years so at over 20 yrs in your fathers possesion it should be good.
    Kevin

RJSchenk
    ?

So how do you tell if one is original vs. fake? I have been chasing these on EBay for awhile ... some look battle worn and old with writing on back ... and others are in such pristine condition albeit from reputable sellers that I get a bit weary. Any advice?

Can't say for certain, but as was pointed out my dad has had this for quite some time, I think it's real. I suppose I can't say with 100% confidence, I have no plans to sell it, I'll just believe it a good one....

I guess having had so many I can just tell by handling the item if it is good or not.any doubts and I don't buy them. War time paper is definately different and you get to know what is right, same goes for old posters, so many copies but easy to spot if you understand what originals are like....
    A fairly easy rule of thumb would be for an example to be issued and then carried by the soldier for several months it is highly unlikely that it would be in pristine unfolded condition. Most were folded and tucked away inside something else for protection. Many were saved by base personnel after issuing, have in the past had as many as 20 plus originals in one lot that were kept by a clerk who happened to come across a pile of them after D Day, un-issued but still 100% original. Just bought another folded original example that came in amongst a pile of military paperwork........ they are getting a lot harder to find, think this will be only the 4th example this year, where a few years ago I would probably find 1 or 2 nearly every week.... Only ever had a few that were named, most are just as issued , folded and a bit worse for wear.
    Buy from reputable dealers, preferrably at a show if you can, but you need to know what you are looking at...... unfortunately with the copies out there in some quantity there will always be a few dishonest people about.

Examination with a black light is worthwhile: modern paper will glow.

Cheers, Ade.

RyanLHawk
    ?

I'm a new member as of this morning. I've been looking for one of these for awhile. Lost a heartbreaking auction on ebay last week, but even then was worried about the authenticity. Ardenneswalker - you mentioned you had come across several dozen over the last 30 years. Any tips for a new, private collector on how to pursue one of these?

I may have one for sale

Bought it from a guy at the RAF Museum at Duxford, apparently it was not issued, they were found in an MOD office in Whitehall, its on slightly differant paper to standard but i am quite certain its a good one
    Last edited by Totenhead; 08-19-2012 at 03:59 PM.

dcwebb85
    ?

Does anyone happen to have one of these for sale? I've been interested for a long time, but I haven't been able to find one. Or does anyone know the best way to find one?

Thanks

drr1964
    ?

Dear Sir I have an original with a embossed stamp at the bottom from the" Central Base Section" ,SOS., ETO USA.
    I believe it is from the London office of General Lee's "Service Of Supply" Gen. Eisenhower's second in command.
    Have not seen another like it. Mark