Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

The Famous Sword Beach Photo and our Office Cleaner

Article about: Had an interesting conversation with Wendy our cleaner this morning. She noticed the usual pile of WW2 books on my desk and told me her uncle had been one of the first on the beaches "a

Default The Famous Sword Beach Photo and our Office Cleaner

Had an interesting conversation with Wendy our cleaner this morning. She noticed the usual pile of WW2 books on my desk and told me her uncle had been one of the first on the beaches "at Dunkirk" and that a famous picture of him had appeared in the press on the 50th anniversary of the landings.

I suspected she meant the D-Day landings and the well known Sgt Mapham picture from Sword Beach came to mind. I flicked through a couple of books and showed her the photograph. One caption, although French, identified three sappers - Jimmy Leask, Cyril Hawkins and Fred Sadler. "That's him!" she said "Fred Sadler!".

It's a small world.

Here's the full caption and picture (from the Imperial War Museum archive in London).

In the foreground are Sappers Jimmy Leask (left, glancing up at the photographer) and Cyril Hawkins of No. 1 Platoon, 84 Field Company RE, whilst on the right, walking towards the camera past the medical orderlies of No. 8 Field Ambulance, is Sapper Fred Sadler of the same Platoon. All three members of 84 Fd Coy RE survived the war

The British 2nd Army: support troops of the 3rd British Infantry Division assembling on ‘Queen Red’ Beach, SWORD Area, near la Breche, Hermanville-sur-Mer, at 8.30 am on 6 June while under intermittent enemy mortar and shell fire. In the foreground and on the right, identified by the white bands around their helmets, are sappers of 84 Field Company Royal Engineers, part of No.5 Beach Group. Behind them, heavily laden medical orderlies of 8 Field Ambulance, Royal Army Medical Corps (some of whom are assisting wounded men) prepare to move off the beach. In the background can be seen men of the 1st Battalion, the Suffolk Regiment and the Lord Lovat’s No. 4 Army Commando landing from LCI(S)s (Landing Craft Infantry Small) of Naval Force S.

Mapham J (Sgt)
    No 5 Army Film & Photographic Unit
    IWM HU 87440
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Famous Sword Beach Photo and our Office Cleaner  
    Last edited by stewfoxy; 09-01-2010 at 11:12 PM.

?

Default Re: The Famous Sword Beach Photo and our Office Cleaner

A small world indeed !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Default Re: The Famous Sword Beach Photo and our Office Cleaner

Came across a couple of interesting articles on this picture while searching for more about the photographer, Sgt Jim Mapham.

One from The Guardian here and the other, from one of the Leask family doing a bit of family tree research, here.
    Last edited by stewfoxy; 09-04-2010 at 03:11 PM.