Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

German Safe Conduct Leaflet

Article about: I just found this in amongst my fathers papers. It is a safe conduct pass for a German soldier who was surrendering after the war was over. Curious if anyone knows anything about these?

Default German Safe Conduct Leaflet

I just found this in amongst my fathers papers. It is a safe conduct pass for a German soldier who was surrendering after the war was over. Curious if anyone knows anything about these?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German Safe Conduct Leaflet   German Safe Conduct Leaflet  

Default Re: German Safe Conduct Leaflet

I do not know much about them, but they are really cool. I wonder how many Germans turned themselves in with one?

Despite the official appearance of the pamphlet, most of these pieces were basically propaganda spread amongst the German troops with the hopes of getting them to come in and quit fighting. They came in many many different types and kinds, but were all pretty much the same thing. Many a German military personnel found this out to their dismay. SS soldiers, for example, were not always treated with the promised "well looking after"! Despite this, though, they were a fascinating bit of militaria collectables and in many cases were, indeed,quite effective! Many Germans were simply tired of the war at that point and Did turn themselves in with the hopes of the pamphlets assurances! Whether they proved true or not, the soldier was out of the war for good and that was, after all, the desired end everyone had in mind!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

I have an identical one to the one shown. It was given to me as a boy by a work collegue of my Fathers who took it from a surrendering German soldier in northern germany in 1945.

Classic Passierschein from the Western Allies...I know it was against regulations for a german soldier to hang on to them, though these probably had more success than the ones the Red Army produced...nice historic item!
    cheers, Glenn