Become our sponsor and display your banner here

GI photo at Orientierungstaffel in Germany

Article about: Hi folks, This is the father of a friend. He was hoping for more information about the location and significance of this photo. One sign indicates there is a POW work camp nearby. Closest bi

Default GI photo at Orientierungstaffel in Germany

Hi folks, This is the father of a friend. He was hoping for more information about the location and significance of this photo. One sign indicates there is a POW work camp nearby. Closest big city is Erfurt making this somewhere in central Germany in the Thuringia province. There was a POW camp with sub camps in that area - Stalag IX C. The sub camps were identified as Arbeitskommando with POWs assigned to potassium mines. What year do you think this photo was taken? I am guessing post war occupation in Spring of 1945. Any other info about the sign and the soldier's attire would be appreciated. NH

Last edited by Neil Hever; 03-30-2016 at 11:48 PM.

There has been no feedback on the posted photo so I have done a bit more research. I guessed that my friend's father was attached to the 3rd Army and that was correct. He was a truck driver with 5 Corps - one of several Corps assigned to the 3rd Army. We found this portrait showing the 5 Corps Pentagon motif patch. I am still seeking information for the family for Sol B. Borodiansky. NH