Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

GI's Early Post-War Photos of Eagle's Nest

Article about: Hello everyone, I have an interesting group of early post-war photos of a GI's visit to Hitler's Eagle's Nest in Sept. 1945. Most of the pics have captions, which I think adds to their histo

?

Default GI's Early Post-War Photos of Eagle's Nest

Hello everyone,

I have an interesting group of early post-war photos of a GI's visit to Hitler's Eagle's Nest in Sept. 1945. Most of the pics have captions, which I think adds to their historical interest. I especially like the mention of the "ice water furnished after the climb" and the "elev. shaft." If anyone has an idea of the soldier's outfit (based on the Sept. '45 date) I'd appreciate it, or any general info on the Eagle's Nest as a tourist spot for U.S. soldiers at that time. Thanks.

T.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture GI's Early Post-War Photos of Eagle's Nest   GI's Early Post-War Photos of Eagle's Nest  

GI's Early Post-War Photos of Eagle's Nest   GI's Early Post-War Photos of Eagle's Nest  

GI's Early Post-War Photos of Eagle's Nest   GI's Early Post-War Photos of Eagle's Nest  

GI's Early Post-War Photos of Eagle's Nest  
    Attached Images Attached Images GI's Early Post-War Photos of Eagle's Nest 

MAP
    ?

These are fantastic! Thanks for showing
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Thanks MAP.

Lucky find, thanks for showing.

Neat photograhs. Are they all marked with the number 13? If so they may of been press photograhs sold as souvenir pictures for GI purchase not first hand photograhs. My grandfather brought back a series of press photos of il duce and top fascist leaders after they met their fate. I suspect these may be similar? I also have similar pictures of koningsschloss castle that were tourist shots brought back by a GI.with similar descriptions like these were. Either way still awesome images! Best regards.

Brian
    Last edited by bsiwula1; 10-02-2017 at 04:40 PM.

"Main Room - Eagles Nest"....would that be the "Mussolini Fire Place" in the background....I think it is!

.....always wondered how he it wrapped that up........ :-)

'great pics tho!

?

Hey Brian,

I have not had a chance to check all of the photos but will do so, especially the more personal looking shots. I agree, several of the photos look commercial so may be the photos marked with "13" are part of a souvenir packet. However, the soldier seems to identify a buddy in the elevator pic (which is also stamped with "13") which makes me wonder if these could be pics that the soldier took. Anyway, I'll take a look. Thanks for your comments.

T.