Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Group photo of Greek soldiers, 1941

Article about: Here is a photo showing a group of greek soldiers, in some typical, frontline outfit. The picture was taken on February 8, 1941 and the text on the back of it reads "A present to my res

Default Group photo of Greek soldiers, 1941

Here is a photo showing a group of greek soldiers, in some typical, frontline outfit. The picture was taken on February 8, 1941 and the text on the back of it reads "A present to my respectable father, so that he remembers me", signed Sotiris.

What appears to be a unit number, is "T.T. 212". The only plausible explanation is that it's "Signals' Battalion 212". But reference on that seems non-existing...

All of the men are wearing the khaki "No 2" uniform, which was following the british service dress. The puttees are also british-style, boots are after the french contemporary pattern. Side caps are of two different patterns, the 1936 and the 1940 ones, with the latter bearing two adjustable pieces for protection of the cheeks and ears against the cold. Side caps were also worn against the regulation under the helmets, as additional protection against the harsh weather conditions. They are bearing the crown and a national colours cockade. The greatcoats are of a greek pattern. Leather webbing belts are of the 20s austrian pattern.

The man kneeling on the far right is a sergeant (2 yellow chevrons, surrounded by the branch colour), who seems pretty proud of his rank! The horizontal stripe above his chevrons is something I have never seen elsewhere... The man standing on the far right is a junior officer. His rank insignia (1-3 silver stars on the shoulderboards) have been removed, for security and self-protection reasons, something that was a common practice. The officer is wearing Sam Browne webbing, with the straps crossed, unlike the british Sam Browne battle order. His holster must be a greek or an old austrohungarian example. Officers were also wearing the "No1" uniform, which also looked like the british "walking out" service dress. It was not very commonly seen on the field though. Brown riding boots were the officers' common footwear, but again, ORs' boots with puttees and leather leggings were used on the front.

If these men belonged indeed to a signals' battalion, they would have been part of the Engineers branch. Each branch was bearing its own colour insignia on the uniform collars, as seen on the photo. Sometimes these were also removed. These mens' collar insignia should be purple. A brass unit number would be attached on each patch for EM and NCOs and a flaming cannonball for the officers. These were removed pretty early at the front though, as they were really visible...

Regards, Giorgos

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Group photo of Greek soldiers, 1941  

Default Re: Group photo of Greek soldiers, 1941

Great information Giorgos. The sergeant does seem to be very proud of his strips. I guess war for them is only eight month away. I'm sure they knew it was comming.

Jay

Quote by sitges1990 View Post
    Great information Giorgos. The sergeant does seem to be very proud of his strips. I guess war for them is only eight month away. I'm sure they knew it was comming.

Jay
    I am glad you find it interesting, Jay! These men were actually already into war! Date is February 8, 1941, while war broke out on October 28, 1940. You are right, though, the signs of the coming conflict were pretty clear even some years earlier than that...

I also like the look of the guy kneeling on far left, with the unbuttoned tunic and shirt, hands in pockets and side cap ready to fall off his head! Quite exemplary! Plus, everyone, except for the officer, has a moustache, something that was a "must" for men back then!

Regards, Giorgos

Wow, you are right, they were already in the fight. I guess I was half asleep. Mustaches and cigarettes definitely were a must.

Take care,
    Jay