Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Help Identifying Commando Unit from Painting

Article about: I picked up this Commando painting at a car boot and needed some help identifying the man or at least his unit/badges. I recognize the combined ops patch and the jump wings (although the col

Default Help Identifying Commando Unit from Painting

I picked up this Commando painting at a car boot and needed some help identifying the man or at least his unit/badges. I recognize the combined ops patch and the jump wings (although the colors are unusual white on lt. blue). The cap badge and commando rocker mystify me. The last letter before commando appears to be a "s" but could also be a "5". The Painting is VERY old and was removed from a VERY old and beat up frame. It is dated 1944 by the artist. I have a Special Forces of the World book by Peter Taylor, but it hasn't been a conclusive help. Any thoughts appreciated. I'm assuming he is an officer also. Thanks!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help Identifying Commando Unit from Painting  

looks like he's got the un Korea medal ribbon. sbs commando.?

- - Updated - -

looks like he's got the un Korea medal ribbon. sbs commando.?

Title could be Royal Marines Commando or no.5 Commando. The white (could be light blue wings?) on blue wings are possibly artistic licence, though Taylor's book does mention them, also some of the foreign para units had private purchase wings made, so he might be one of them just served with commando's instead. He had no rank insignia showing on his shoulder straps so he is probably an OR. The BD looks to have a lined collar and invisible buttons so would be the pre austerity 40 pattern (pre autumn 1942).

I can't work out what the cap badge is, but it does not look like RM Commando.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

I sent this painting along to a Commando forum and several people suggested that it was a Cyprus Commando, going by the light blue wing backing, the "S" before the Commando and the cap badge, which resembles the Cyprus Regiment. Apparently a Cyprus Commando badge did exist, but no photos of it exist. It does seem to fit in multiple categories. Plus the ribbon, blue and white, may be a Greek/Cyprus ribbon, not British.

Either way, I have listed the painting on E-Bay, so if anyone is interested, here it is up for grabs. I'm parting with it to thin out my collection a bit and focus more on another area. Thank you for all the help with identifying this chap. Hopefully the new owned will crack the code eventually.

WW2 1944 Dated Commando Portrait Painting Ultra Rare | eBay