Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Help on this Picture

Article about: The charges were as follows: If you got an infection from a tattoo you could be put on a charge for self inflicted wounds!!! Also: In 1936, when fighting broke out in China, almost all the m

Default Re: Help on this Picture

The charges were as follows: If you got an infection from a tattoo you could be put on a charge for self inflicted wounds!!!
    Also:
    In 1936, when fighting broke out in China, almost all the men were drafted into the army. People with tattoos were thought to be discipline problems, so they weren't drafted and the government passed a law against tattooing. After that the tattooists had to work in secret. After WWII, General MacArthur liberalized the Japanese laws, and tattooing became legal again. But the tattoo artists continued to work privately by appointment, and this tradition continues today.

ILH
    ?

Certainly strange,
    Looks like he has 'sleeve' tattoos (covering whole arm) as well. Also either two watches or two bracelets.

dots on his hands look like dusty photo damage - so why isn't there more? light isn't right for reflections, if his hand was wet. Very very weird- 1940s editing of negative to hide/blur tatoos?

four men and only two badges doesn't help! Combat Infantry Badge on second from right.
    The tattoed chap's patch is for SHAEF (hard to tell, but pretty certain) which makes his ink even stranger- SHAEF was crawling with Top Brass and Scrambled Eggs- so he must have had some very usefull skills of some sort.....

sorry i can't help more.
    Jim.

Lots of bling on his wrists! So the guy must of had a bit of money! I think he maybe some kind of entertainer? There to boost troop morale? Here in the England the dots across the knuckles are a very common prison tattoo even now.
    Maybe an entertainer of British origin? Just a few thoughts that may help clear up this little mystery.

I wonder if the white spots on the hand are to censor something vulgar. I am stumped by this photo, but have a feeling that this was a very shady character. Watches as loot or for trade? Looks liek he carried valuables around for who knows what reason. Odd tats and bling for a GI who doesn't appear to be more than a buck private. I knew only one person with tattos visible on his hands when I was in the Army. When he came up for promotion to Sergeant Major, he finally had to have them removed surgically for his offical photo and oral exam.

We are asuming they are tatoos, they could be but it is very unusal. It could be drawen on : ). Or it could just be ink from the fatain pens. He look like a desk grunt. : )

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2