Become our sponsor and display your banner here

The horrors of War-Bubble gum cards USA

Article about: Does anyone know about a set of bubble gum cards that were printed in the USA in 1938-39 I think there were about 280 or more cards in the series they were called "The Horrors of War&qu

Default The horrors of War-Bubble gum cards USA

Does anyone know about a set of bubble gum cards that were printed in the USA in 1938-39 I think there were about 280 or more cards in the series they were called "The Horrors of War". Any idea of where to find some how much do they cost.Any information would be great .Regards .Operaman

?

Default Re: The horrors of War-Bubble gum cards USA

I remember a set of cards from the mid sixties about the US civil war, that was gruesome, all drawn images in colour, men being blown apart, shot, being gored by the spiked rolling barricades , stabbed with bayonets etc, and we could buy them in ordinary sweet shops with a slab of bubble gum about 3"x 2 1/2", amazing what was sold to kids then

Here you go Joe

Horrors of War

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

HORRORS OF WAR is a remarkable set of bubble gum cards produced by Philadelphia's Gum, Inc. in 1938. There are 288 cards in the set and prices today start at $3-4 for common cards. Higher numbered cards are much more expensive and three cards depicting Hitler are the most costly. The set made quite an impression when it was first published and was written up un LIFE magazine. If you like HORRORS OF WAR, you might also be interested in WAR GUM, which deals with World War II and has stunning art work. You'll find both types of cards on Ebay and on various websites offerin "non-sports" gum cards. The complete set was reprinted several years ago by the Card Collectors' Company of New York City.

Thanks Uncle Paul,I appreciate the information