Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Husband & wife group: Army and SOE

Article about: Now we have a selection of letter which he sent home. I felt I was intruding on their privacy when I first got these and read them. They are love letters. So I will just show a few here with

Default Re: Husband & wife group: Army and SOE

Now we have a selection of letter which he sent home. I felt I was intruding on their privacy when I first got these and read them. They are love letters. So I will just show a few here with no detail.

But here is a scan of an Aerogram sent to his in laws. These were microfilmed letters sent home on film and then printed out in the UK in order to save frieght space.

What we thought was nice was the gift he sent of three pairs of silk stockings which he sent from India to Elizabeth. She never wore one pair of these and they are still like new today. Stockings were very hard to find back home in the UK.

There are also two telegrams, note they spelt his name incorrectly on one about his promotion to Captain. The second one refers to their Wedding Anniversary.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Husband & wife group: Army and SOE   Husband & wife group: Army and SOE  

Husband & wife group: Army and SOE   Husband & wife group: Army and SOE  

His Battl now moved from Persia & Iraq Force to Central Med Force take part in the Invasion of Sicily in 1943. It was here that Capt Munn was sadly KIA while serving as A/T platoon CO.

Here we have a wartime history book, published in August 1944, about his Battl and a short mention of his death.

There is also a letter from the unit's Padre, photos of his grave, black mourning armbands worn at his memorial service held back home in Scotland ( we also have a programme from the dedication of the local War memorial from 1949 in Larbert Old Church which bears his and others names) and the letter which confirms the pension payments made to Elizabeth of a one off payment of £200 and then £150 a year.

See here for his entry on the CWGC website:

CWGC :: Certificate

He is buried on Malta.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Husband & wife group: Army and SOE   Husband & wife group: Army and SOE  

We now move onto Elizabeth's story.

Prior to his death she was not in the services. But now she volunteered to join the FANY. I suspect she wanted to fight back.

More to come tonight.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Ade this is a fantastic bit of history and the really good thing is that you and Lez are keeping it alive and they won't be forgotten.
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

Love the No 4 Commando photo it must have been as they were forming as they are still in all their different Regimental headgear , uniforms and badges !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

An amazing poignant grouping! Thank you for preserving this and I look forward to reading more about them!

Thanks for the comments guys.

I am still trying to find out if he took part in "OP Claymore", the raid on the Lofoten Islands in 1941.

Cheers, Ade.

Here are a couple of photos of Elizabeth playing "dress up" wearing her husbands Royal Artillery uniform

By the summer of 1944 Elizabeth had decided to join the First Aid Nursing Yeomanry (WTS)

The FANY (Women's Transport Service) were a uniformed volunteer organisation. They had evolved over the years and now were not involved with nursing but were now drivers, or in some cases operatives for Military Inteligence and SOE.

Some basic background info here:

FANY (PRVC) - Princess Royal's Volunteer Corps ::

Fascinating & interesting group Ade. Glad you saved it & gave it a good home. Well done mate. Stewy S

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast