Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Husband & wife group: Army and SOE

Article about: Now we have a selection of letter which he sent home. I felt I was intruding on their privacy when I first got these and read them. They are love letters. So I will just show a few here with

Default Re: Husband & wife group: Army and SOE

Thanks for info Ade. Stewy S

She visited many places in the British Zone, like Koln Cathedral and Luneburg Heath and the then new memorial to the surrender. We have a separate photo album just of these views of Germany alone. Here are a couple of cards from that time.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Husband & wife group: Army and SOE   Husband & wife group: Army and SOE  

Now she joined the ATS which was about to change it's name to the WRAC. (Womens Royal Army Corps)

Here is her Battledress blouse, which is dated 1948. Note the rare FANY shoulder title which she was allowed to wear to show her previous warime service with the Corps. Also note her service number and name on the blouse label. She became a Capt.

The photo shows the very same blouse in wear. We also have the skirt. Plus the same photo which was also published in a newspaper of the time.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Husband & wife group: Army and SOE   Husband & wife group: Army and SOE  

Husband & wife group: Army and SOE   Husband & wife group: Army and SOE  

She also now rejoined the FANY again in 1949.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Husband & wife group: Army and SOE  

She later got this fund raising charity letter. Note the signature. Odette. I am sure you all know her story from the war film about her exploits?

http://www.britmovie.co.uk/genres/wa...raphy/002.html
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Husband & wife group: Army and SOE  

?

Great stuff Ade for me this is what history is about , people !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Hi Paul, glad you are enjoying it.

Coming to the end of this marathon thread now.

She continues to serve in the WRAC until at least 1959 out in Singapore. She mixed in the right circles going from a few of the Party invitations she got.

We have a large bag with more paperwork, photos, newspaper clippings, etc. She always kept anything to do with her husbands Regt. She also saved a large selection of military issue stockings.

She never remarried.

In her last Will & testament she left a £500 legacy to the FANY. I discovered that after I met a lady Vet of the FANY who knew here. She passed away in the early 1990's. Her belongings must have been sold/thrown out by a relative and that is why they ended up in a junk shop in Coventry. Now they are safe with us and her's and Norman's story is preserved here.

Cheers, Ade.

Husband & wife group: Army and SOE  
    Attached Images Attached Images Husband & wife group: Army and SOE 

Ade,

Absolutely magnificent thread. Thank you very much for showing us the documents and mementoes of these two brave persons.

It is nice to know that they will be preserved by someone as competent and respectful to their legacy as you.

regards,

Gus

?

Ade , thanks for sharing this fantastic journey of a family in war time Britain ! Tragic but uplifting at the same time , a truly amazing story that has been a pleasure to read. Well done for saving a family history Can i ask a quick question about the FANY , did the girls who delivered the spitfires and hurries etc. around the country belong to this group or was that something else ?

cheers Al

Oh my god Ade, and i don't say that lightly. This story is so fantastic and i am sure that it is only a molecule of other stories that will never be told due to time, no relatives to inherit the story etc. etc.

Thanks to you and how you presented it it was like a story book being told. I was on the edge of my seat like a little boy waiting for the next story line.

Hence this a sad story of the husband and i believe a life long drive for his wife. It's quite fortunate that you and your wife have preserved this story and artifacts that others in the future will be able to embrace it as we have here.

rgds, Ty

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast