Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Idea on Warship Photo Values

Article about: I’m hoping to obtain a little guidance regarding what folks would typically expect to pay for period photos of WWI & WWII warships. I’ve got my eye on two photos hanging around a couple

Default Idea on Warship Photo Values

I’m hoping to obtain a little guidance regarding what folks would typically expect to pay for period photos of WWI & WWII warships.

I’ve got my eye on two photos hanging around a couple of different antique stores, one is an original period photo of the USS Vermont and the other is of the USS Honolulu. Both of these are 10 x 8 inch photos, nothing special and in reasonable condition.

Neither one of these photos are particularly expensive nor do I believe very collectable, I just don’t know of these kinds of photos go for $5 or $50. Any general guidance or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Russ

?

Default Re: Idea on Warship Photo Values

More in the range of $5.00 friend.

Quote by SteveR View Post
    More in the range of $5.00 friend.
    Thanks Steve, that's kind of what I figured. If I could pick either of them up for $10 I probably would grab them but they want a bit more and I just don't think they are really with it.....but they sure are nice photos.

Russ

Russ: Have you tried bargaining (niggling) with them? Anything over $10 is high for a ship's photo that has no particular importance. I have a reasonable collection of ships photos , but I don't recall ever paying over $10 for them. On the other hand, if you buy any photo from the US National Archives (NARA) you will pay a lot more than $10, so maybe you're looking at a bargain. Dwight

Quote by drmessimer View Post
    Russ: Have you tried bargaining (niggling) with them? Anything over $10 is high for a ship's photo that has no particular importance. I have a reasonable collection of ships photos , but I don't recall ever paying over $10 for them. On the other hand, if you buy any photo from the US National Archives (NARA) you will pay a lot more than $10, so maybe you're looking at a bargain. Dwight
    Dwight, thanks for the input. Yea, I tried, on one of the, to get the price down, actually asked them to removed it from the hidious 1970's style wooden frame and I'd just buy the photo, but the didn't got for it. That was the period photo of the USS Vermont but it was not in its Great White Fleet colors. The other photo was of no significats either but it was a period photo. I would have grabbed them if I could have picked up for ten bucks, maybe even $15, even knowing they probably were not worth near that, just thought they'd look good hanging on the wall. But we were not even close on price.....maybe they will still be there next time we make a pass through that shop and we'll have another go of it.