Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Identification of ration book stamps

Article about: Somebody gave me this old 1943 dated rations book full of stamps for free yesterday. I was just wondering what each of these ration cards are used for. Any help would be appreciated. Regards

Default Identification of ration book stamps

Somebody gave me this old 1943 dated rations book full of stamps for free yesterday. I was just wondering what each of these ration cards are used for. Any help would be appreciated.

Regards, Corey
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Identification of ration book stamps   Identification of ration book stamps  

Default Re: Identification of ration book stamps

Also, any information on the booklet would be appreciated. What does the 4 mean in the top left corner?

regards, Corey

These books were issued to every citizen in the US during WWII for food rationing. Food commodities such as sugar,meat, etc were very tightly rationed and could not be purchased Without one or more of these coupons. When your allotment of coupons ran out, that was it-no more. If you tried to buy without them or had someone else buy them For you with theirs, it was a crime and was called black marketing. The "4" was simply the 4th issue of ration books by the O.P.A.(Office of Price Administration). Everything was closely rationed and monitored-gasoline,car tires,etc., with tires, perhaps being the toughest to obtain for Any money. No Coupon-No Tire. People were actually known to purchase a company because it was known to have several tire rations coming to it. Again, illegal, but they did it. Do a search online of the O.P.A. and read on the wartime restrictions and rationing. It is a now long lost era in America that controlled the lives of every citizen in the country and then some!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Here is a link to my post showing War Ration Book 3.
    1942 20 Centavo Note - USAFFE ; USA War Ration Book No 3
    for comparison. My book was pretty well used up.