Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Identification of US dog tags .

Article about: Hi all got these US Vietnam era dog tags I know one is USN and was wondering if anyone can tell me what the other one is from ? any help would be great this is what they say what I can read

Default Identification of US dog tags .

Hi all got these US Vietnam era dog tags I know one is USN and was wondering if anyone can tell me what the other one is from ? any help would be great
    this is what they say what I can read anyway (just in case the pictures are not readable .
    1st one reads guessing like the other one KA name 12039380 service number the last bit has me stumped though .

KA
    ?TL 71?? ??
    ?? A

Some of the stamps appear to be Vietnamese but I'm unsure .might be really badly stamped numbers ????

2nd one reads

RUMBLE L R
    B87 37 12 USN
    PROT AB POS

I realise L R Rumble is his name B87 37 12 USN is his service number but the PROT AB POS has me stumped .. AB able seaman is all I can come up with??? but would not have a clue ...
    any help would be great thanks

cheers matt

Identification of US dog tags .Identification of US dog tags .
    Identification of US dog tags .Identification of US dog tags .

The 2 letters before the "A" on the bottom row should identify the man's religion. They Look like "RC" for Roman Catholic, but not really sure. They are almost like they've been stamped over to obliterate them. The middle line is illegible, but the first letter is B.. The "A" is for Blood Type "A". On the Rumble tag, the last line says "Protestant Blood type AB Positive"
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

thanks wagriff why would someone stamp over them seems weird ? I can't understand why someone would do that .

They changed their religion? Or lost faith?
    William

that would make sense . Still makes no sense why the other numbers or letters are stamped over or obliterated . Unless for some reason they did not want someone to know what regiment / section they were from if knocked out and found by enemy ? just seems strange .

Or maybe they were just badly stamped in the first place ?

True that, but they seem to be double stamped, so who knows? It's definitely an odd tag, in any case. It doesn't really conform to any of the normal configurations.
    William

Cheers for the hand William