Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Interesting Album Contents--U.S. Army Vet

Article about: Hello everyone, I thought that I'd post some pictures from a photo album that I purchased several years ago (along with a couple of military bags) that belonged to Donald Vosburgh (He's the

?

Default Interesting Album Contents--U.S. Army Vet

Hello everyone,
    I thought that I'd post some pictures from a photo album that I purchased several years ago (along with a couple of military bags) that belonged to Donald Vosburgh (He's the one driving the "stolen" Jeep. These were part of a much larger military grouping that belonged to him (see photo). Unfortunately, I was only able to come away with the album and the bags but these are nice finds with a more personal connection I think. One of my favorite photos in the album is a view looking down on planes from the Eiffel Tower at the USSTAF Exhibition in Paris (August 1945), as mentioned in the final episode of the series,“Band of Brothers.” I've included a published (B&W) photo (Photo of the USSTAF Exhibition in the The Rhine Valley News, 7 September 1945 edition and accompanying article) of the exhibition that shows the same planes from ground level.

The Rhine Valley News:

"The cover of the first edition of the USAFE (U.S. Air Forces in Europe, created in August 1945) pamphlet (Vol. 1, No. 1, October 1945) shows the Eiffel Tower as it looked during the August 1945 exhibition of U.S. Army equipment on the Champs de Mars directly under the tower. The searchlight beams arcing behind the famous monument, forming a V for Victory sign, are courtesy of none other than A Battery of the 225th AAA Searchlight Battalion, who had several searchlight sections on hand to provide Hollywood premiere–style lighting for the event! The Skylighters brought five lights to the tower and set one up in front of each leg and one directly under the tower with its beam pointed straight up. The lighting effects, as you can see, were nothing short of spectacular."

"EIFFEL ILLUMINATED (7 K)The Rhine Valley News reported, in its 7 September 1945 edition, "In their role of illuminating historic Eiffel Tower, five sections of the 225th AAA Searchlight Battalion are providing one of the most striking displays in the United States Strategic Air Forces in Europe (USSTAF) Exhibition currently showing in Paris. The searchlights, manned by minimum crews, nightly are trained on the noted spire, bringing the world famous weblike structure into sharp relief. On cloudy nights a spectacular reflection of the edifice can be plainly seen in the sky. As symbolic of Paris as is the Statue of Liberty or Empire State Building of New York City or as is Big Ben of London, Eiffel Tower is the site of the U.S. Air Force exhibit, which is centered in and about the base of the symbolic structure. The exhibit consists mainly of U.S. Army equipment, most of it air force material. It has attracted thousands of patrons since its inception and continues to pack them in daily. Opened in late summer, the show is dedicated to the French people, in recognition of the aid they gave U.S. airmen forced to land on French soil during the pre-invasion days when France was prostrate under the tyrannical heel of her enemy, the Boche."

Thanks for looking.

Tom
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Interesting Album Contents--U.S. Army Vet   Interesting Album Contents--U.S. Army Vet  

Interesting Album Contents--U.S. Army Vet   Interesting Album Contents--U.S. Army Vet  

Interesting Album Contents--U.S. Army Vet   Interesting Album Contents--U.S. Army Vet  

Interesting Album Contents--U.S. Army Vet  
    Attached Images Attached Images Interesting Album Contents--U.S. Army Vet  Interesting Album Contents--U.S. Army Vet  Interesting Album Contents--U.S. Army Vet  Interesting Album Contents--U.S. Army Vet  Interesting Album Contents--U.S. Army Vet 

That's a very interesting album.

Great album!
    Nice score..

I Like it, the Eiffel tower...
    The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/

?

Thanks for your comments everyone.

Tom

Thank you for sharing!

Mart

Cheers Tom wonderful lot.

Awesome photographs! I specifically liked the photos of the panther tank (mislabeled as a tiger which is common).

?

Great album