Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Iraqi and U.S. items from nephew

Article about: Hi everyone I wanted to share a few items a nephew gave me from his time in Iraq. When he was leaving, I asked him to bring me a souvenir back and these were given to me. I didn't "pick

Default Iraqi and U.S. items from nephew

Iraqi and U.S. items from nephewIraqi and U.S. items from nephewIraqi and U.S. items from nephewIraqi and U.S. items from nephewIraqi and U.S. items from nephewIraqi and U.S. items from nephewIraqi and U.S. items from nephewIraqi and U.S. items from nephewIraqi and U.S. items from nephewIraqi and U.S. items from nephewIraqi and U.S. items from nephewIraqi and U.S. items from nephewIraqi and U.S. items from nephewIraqi and U.S. items from nephewIraqi and U.S. items from nephewIraqi and U.S. items from nephewHi everyone

I wanted to share a few items a nephew gave me from his time in Iraq. When he was leaving, I asked him to bring me a souvenir back and these were given to me. I didn't "pick" his brain about each item so a detailed description isn't available at this time. I'll see him for Christmas and will question him further. For now, enjoy the pics of Iraqi paper money, blanket?, and his Marine Iraqi field guide. I told a member here that I will post these as there is some interest apparently. I guess it's fair to say that this was my first militaria!!! I have 3 nephews in the military. And yes, my nephews are my heroes!!

Greenhorn
    In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. CE

Default Re: Iraqi and U.S. items from nephew

The blanket is likely an Arabic 'Keffiyeh' - A piece of head-wear
    popular in that part of the world.

Keffiyeh - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Last edited by Walkwolf; 12-23-2011 at 04:59 AM.
    Regards,

Steve.

Walkwolf

It's quite thin, but large in size. I asked my nephew if it was headwear and he wasn't sure. A prayer rug is appropriate, prayer happens 3 times per day....if I'm correct.

Green
    In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. CE

I used to own a kafiya of the same black and white pattern, and it was
    also quite large - about 4'x4' square - and very thin.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Fantastic!

So it is for headwear! Thank you for your information. Did you get to see the laminated survival guide? Soldiers are told not to give a "thums up" because its obscene. lol Beating your wife for failing to cover her face in public, is obscene.

Green

what about 2 thums up is that bad.
    Great stuff.
    Say thank you to your Nephew for is service.
    Chris

Quote by cricketchris1944 View Post
    what about 2 thums up is that bad.
    Great stuff.
    Say thank you to your Nephew for is service.
    Chris
    Chris

Two "thumbs up" would be a double neg. so it should be ok. lol Some of those "dos and don'ts" are very funny.
    I will thank him and I thank you for those thoughts!

Green

The tag on it says "Shemagh Alajd", which basically means, "Authentic Scarf/Keffiyeh/Shemagh"

I also have a couple that I got from my family in Palestine.

Cool stuff Green!

Chris

Just noticed, you're local. Hi neighbor!

Green

Quote by ObKrieger View Post
    The tag on it says "Shemagh Alajd", which basically means, "Authentic Scarf/Keffiyeh/Shemagh"

I also have a couple that I got from my family in Palestine.

Cool stuff Green!
    Thanks ObKrieger

It is cool stuff. Ironically, I posted this the day after the U.S. left Iraq.

Green

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast