Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Korean War F4U Corsair Photo ?

Article about: I have a photo showing an interesting aircraft. I believe it is a 'Chance Vought F4U Corsair'. These two pics are printed on one sheet of photo paper. The men under the wing look to me like

Default F4U Corsair Photo - Korean War Era ? ?

I have a photo showing an interesting aircraft. I believe it is a 'Chance Vought F4U Corsair'.
    These two pics are printed on one sheet of photo paper. The men under the wing look to me like they are posing or pretending to arm the plane for the photograph because they are loading only one rocket, and there is a single belt of .50 lying on the ground. The most interesting feature though, is the nose-art with the planes name: "Battle Cry' and the 'Warner Brothers' logo,

I've tried to look this name up but could not find anything on it, and I'm not sure NAVY would have appeared in large letters under the wings of wartime aircraft.

In the group shot, there is a M38 jeep in the background, - judging by the windscreen height and larger tires - so the picture had to be taken in the 1950's. Any thoughts on this from the aviation buffs out there ? ( I'm sorry about my poor copying techniques ! )

Regards, Steve.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Korean War F4U Corsair Photo ?   Korean War F4U Corsair Photo ?  

Last edited by Walkwolf; 05-09-2010 at 07:44 AM.

Default Re: Korean War F4U Corsair Photo ?

It would be much easier to tell if the national insignia could be seen. Does the left mainwheel look flat to anyone else? And yes that is a Corsair.

Quote by Brian Childress View Post
    It would be much easier to tell if the national insignia could be seen. Does the left mainwheel look flat to anyone else? And yes that is a Corsair.
    Thanks for the reply. Sorry again for the lousy pics.
    Front wheel is in a chock so it may look flat, but I don't think it is.
    This one may be clearer.............
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Korean War F4U Corsair Photo ?  

Notice also the gun ports in the wing.............
    It would appear there are no guns in them ! ?

Regards, Steve.

rcs
    ?

The film "Battle cry" was made in 1955, it was about US Marines in the Pacific, it was distributed by Warner Bros. might be photos from the set?

cheers,
    Rob

Quote by rcs View Post
    The film "Battle cry" was made in 1955, it was about US Marines in the Pacific, it was distributed by Warner Bros. might be photos from the set?

cheers,
    Rob
    Thanks, Rob !

I do recall the name of the movie.
    It's within the time frame, 1955 or later.
    Narrows it down............... !

Regards, Steve.
    Last edited by Walkwolf; 05-10-2010 at 10:26 PM.

?

That is a realy nice picture!thats very intersting and neet as the guys under the wing ,just a great picture .