Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Little bugs I'n collection of bibles ?

Article about: my grandpa had a collection of the first copies of national geographic and they were destrioed by those pesky buggers!!

?

Default Little bugs I'n collection of bibles ?

Hello all

my parents recently inherited a large collection of post cards cigaret cards BIBLES and various train membrobela i was asked to sort the stuff out I'n to sets ect as i was going through the bibles in 5 out of 25 there are these little bugs under the top cover ? What are they Thayer are quiet a bit smaller than ants ?

Will they damage the books ? How can i get rid of them ? They've been stored I'n a draw I'n a dusty room for the last 5 years ?

Kind regards
    Alex

?

Default Re: Little bugs I'n collection of bibles ?

Silverfish and yaeh they will utterly distroy your books get em out right away!!!

?

How ??

?

They are attracted to the glue in the books that hold the pages together and the eat that + paper

?

Do they look like this??
    Attached Images Attached Images  

?

Yes ! What about putting them I'n the freezer ?

Gaz them.
    |<
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    cheers
    |<ris

?

I have no clue what you schould do maybe research it for a little maybe go on youtube and look it up i have no clue

The freezer will kill them and their eggs, at least that is what a dress maker told me. I was told to put my tunics into the freezer every few months for 24 hours a time to kill silverfish and their eggs as well as moths, their larvae and their eggs.

?

Just to make sure they are actually silverfish you could make a glue trap just by putting some masking tape or similar down, sticky side up with some bait ie; biscuit crumbs, sugar in the middle to attract them with a free meal. Place several of these around the area you have the problem and see what gets stuck onto the adhesive.

If they are silverfish, I found this on the net:

Silverfish on Books -- If your books are among your priceless possessions, you must take care of them because silverfish are prone to ruining them. To deal with this problem, put your books in a ziplock bag with some desiccant. Store the books inside your freezer for three days. The temperature will kill both silverfish and firebrats.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast