Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

A look into the thoughts of a Marine on Okinawa

Article about: Hi all, Here is a two page letter I just found. It is a typed letter of Lt. George L. Halenkamp. He details his time on Okinawa with the 29th Regiment of the 6th Marines. He talks of not hav

Default A look into the thoughts of a Marine on Okinawa

Hi all,

Here is a two page letter I just found. It is a typed letter of Lt. George L. Halenkamp. He details his time on Okinawa with the 29th Regiment of the 6th Marines. He talks of not having enough men to attack the main line but even artilery near by was "terrific." His men have been sitting at the rear of the battleline a while and will try to make another "crack" at the main area of fighting at Naha. He says their sector is worse than any battalion on Iwo Jima. The letter covers two days May 24 and 26, of 1945. He mentions old friends he has seen there and speaks fondly of the men under his command. This letter gives great historical insight into what it was like in the midst of some of the most ferocious combat of the Pacific and the entire war. The only thing that I am unsure of is that the letter is typed and is not censored, giving details such as location and main lines as well as specific units, not sure how common that was. Could this be a copy, made at a later date? Regardless, the information within these pages is superb!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A look into the thoughts of a Marine on Okinawa   A look into the thoughts of a Marine on Okinawa  

A look into the thoughts of a Marine on Okinawa  

?

That is a nice letter. Great read
    The 6th went to Northern China as the occupation after the war.

Have you done any more research into this Marine?

Semper Fi
    Phil

Thanks for taking a look! I haven't done any research so far, but from what I know he ended up playing football at the University of Michigan. The seller I bought it from bought a lot of 100's of letters from this gentleman and his brother that their father kept from the war. I was taken by the vivid details and candidness of this soldier. Okinawa was such a pivitol point in the fighting and a first hand account of it is amazing to find.

As in my original post, I am unsure whether or not it could by a copy due to it having no censorship and being typed but the soldier mentions being in a foxhole? Would a Lt. have access to a personal typewriter in his foxhole? He does mention being behind the line at the time of writing. Another curious thing is that it seems the letter was typed on the same paper but covering two different days.

?

After rereading and searching ,One other HMMM might be the day and date he mentions, It might be trivial thing but, May 25th 1945 was a Friday not a Thursday as typed in the letter.

Typewriter in a foxhole?????????????? Good question.
    Typing it behind the lines would make more sense. That date is around the middle of the Battle of Okinawa. Possibly typed from his personal notes. You mentioned the seller. Can he give you anything as proof?

I'll add that there are no fold creases in the letter. It was not put into an envelope to be mailed.

There are those on this site that have access to USMC records and they might be able to research this Lt. better than I.

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Last edited by AZPhil; 03-02-2020 at 05:24 AM. Reason: Added comment

I didn't catch the date. However, there are days I forget the date too, but I can see what you mean. Upon messing with the photo details I was able to see that there are in fact creases from being folded. I was told that the letters were in a scrapbook of sorts kept by the dad of these two soldiers so they may have flattened out the years since.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A look into the thoughts of a Marine on Okinawa