Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

A look at the last year of the war in the Pacific onboard the Sandscrapper LSM-136.

Article about: Hi all, I recently aquired a diary/log detailing the daily life onboard the LSM-136 from May 1944, May 1945. The diary begins with dates of sailing from May 30, 1944 with the ship's commisio

Default A look at the last year of the war in the Pacific onboard the Sandscrapper LSM-136.

Hi all,

I recently aquired a diary/log detailing the daily life onboard the LSM-136 from May 1944, May 1945. The diary begins with dates of sailing from May 30, 1944 with the ship's commisioning in Charleston, South Carolina. The next few months are only recorded as dates of sailing as the ship and its crew stopped at various locations to train. Detailed entries begin in October 1944 as the ship and her convoy sail for the Admirallity Islands and begin preperations for the naval engagement and landing at Leyte. The diary has almost daily recordings then on, detailing the invasion of Leyte and the naval battle at Okinawa, after which the last entry appears to be May 1, 1945. The writer also writes of daily life, R&R, playing softball on the beach, getting a tan, reading magazines and watching films when not in the combat zone. They write of shooting down enemy aircraft and wittnessing ships around them come under fire as well as kamakazie attacks. The diary has yet to arrive but when it does, I will begin the process of transcribing and recording each entry so that it may be shared with others and the unique perspective written here can be of historical value to others. As far as I know the writer is unnamed but nonetheless, this story is important and worth sharing.

Stay tuned...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A look at the last year of the war in the Pacific onboard the Sandscrapper LSM-136.   A look at the last year of the war in the Pacific onboard the Sandscrapper LSM-136.  

A look at the last year of the war in the Pacific onboard the Sandscrapper LSM-136.   A look at the last year of the war in the Pacific onboard the Sandscrapper LSM-136.  

A look at the last year of the war in the Pacific onboard the Sandscrapper LSM-136.   A look at the last year of the war in the Pacific onboard the Sandscrapper LSM-136.  

Sounds very interesting, a very important piece of history I really enjoy reading diaries and other primary sources like this. Thanks for sharing!

Best Regards,

Calloway