Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Looking for specific war footage of Canadian forces

Article about: Hallo all, I know a Belgian ww2 veteran who fought with the Canadians during ww2. I've met him sometimes (he grew up in the same house as my grandmother and, although he is not, he is concid

?

Default Looking for specific war footage of Canadian forces

Hallo all,

I know a Belgian ww2 veteran who fought with the Canadians during ww2.
    I've met him sometimes (he grew up in the same house as my grandmother and, although he is not, he is concidered family). He was 17 when he joined the army in 1944, after escaping from Belgium with an important recistance member. But to keep things short and simple: He saw a documentary about ww2 from the 1970's (I guess maybe "The world at war"?) and he recognised himself in some footage. He told me that there were 2 scenes he believes he is in. One scene is where some Canadians (including him) are entering a building (during street fighting) and another scene where they are crouching or slowly moving and you can see him throwing a grenade over a wall.
    When he saw that documentary on Belgian tv, he called the BRT (Belgian Radio & Television) to ask if he could get a copy of that footage, but his request was denied. My father also recalls seeing that exact footage but we can't seem to find anything. I've tried to search the internet (even saw an hour of canadian footage alone) but no succes so far.
    Maybe if someone even thinks he once saw the scenes described as above and knows where I can find them, please let me know.
    I would be very thankfull.

I know it's a long shot, but it's worth trying

Jakke

edit: I didn't know in what topic to post this, but I'm sure a mod will move it the correct subforum.
    Last edited by Jakke; 09-02-2008 at 09:25 PM.

?

Default re: Looking for specific war footage of Canadian forces

I just bought the full season of the world at war! It's many hours and i will report back when I'm done looking trough it all, if i have seen a scene like the one you describe!

?

Monuir beat me to it, you can get the whole series on dvd and since you believe it was this series, it would be a good move to buy it

I also got the whole dvd set for Christmas it is perhaps the best documentary of the war (or series).

Jakke, if you know where your relative that fought with the Canadians saw action, then that should definately narrow down the places to look. In The World At War series, each DVD focuses on certain parts, times, regions and battles of the War.

For example, if the veteran fought in Ortona, then that would narrow down the dvd's to look at.

Regards,
    Finn

?

hey guys,

thank you for the replies!
    Never thought this would come up again (see the date i started this thread!).
    It happens that I just recently got the dvd set (also during the christmas period). I've looked through some of the episodes but haven't found anything yet.
    I'll keep looking though.

Thanks a bunch guys!, cheers,

jakke

?

Hi Jakke I also have World at War. Even have a few spare dvds as they were free with a newspaper . If you can work out which you can have a dvd with my compliments.Some thing makes me think there may have been another series shown tho. Can any members of the WRF confirm this?

?

Yepp! There is 3 "bonus" episodes (Haven't seen em so can't tell you what they are about) and 5 "special" episodes (auschwitz 1 & 2 + Hitlers germany 1,2 & 3) and 1 "making of the serie" episode, hope this helps. Jakke please let us know if you find him! I will keep looking and tell you if i see the scene you described.

normmus
    ?

Can you find out the Canadian unit, or even what city and province the Canadian unit was from? With that information one can check the Canadian archives.