Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Magazine: Arnhem resurrected/Arnhem Herrijst

Article about: Hi Guys, I just took a couple of pics of this magazine for a friend as it contains some pics taken from the film "Theirs is the Glory". So I thought I would share them with you her

Default Magazine: Arnhem resurrected/Arnhem Herrijst

Hi Guys, I just took a couple of pics of this magazine for a friend as it contains some pics taken from the film "Theirs is the Glory". So I thought I would share them with you here.

The rest of the magazine from November 1946 covers the rebuilding of the town after the war.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Magazine: Arnhem resurrected/Arnhem Herrijst   Magazine: Arnhem resurrected/Arnhem Herrijst  

Default Re: Magazine: Arnhem resurrected/Arnhem Herrijst

Not seen that film before. Is that David Niven in the picture?

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Hi Nick, you are missing a treat!

You must get to see it. The director, Brian Desmond Hurst, decided he wanted to tell the story of Arnhem. So, with the co-operation of the Army, he filmed it on location in Arnhem using only men who had fought there the year before as the actors! Imagine if such a thing was suggested to soldiers of today

So no film stars took part. You can get it on DVD.

It is very typical of the period. I have been priviledged to know a couple of men who took part in the film. 200 volunteered as the pay was good!

I am now in contact with Hurst's Great Nephew, Allan, who is launching a website about the film. hence me doing these pics. Once it is up, I will post a link on the forum.

Cheers, Ade.

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Nick, you are missing a treat!

You must get to see it. The director, Brian Desmond Hurst, decided he wanted to tell the story of Arnhem. So, with the co-operation of the Army, he filmed it on location in Arnhem using only men who had fought there the year before as the actors! Imagine if such a thing was suggested to soldiers of today

So no film stars took part. You can get it on DVD.

It is very typical of the period. I have been priviledged to know a couple of men who took part in the film. 200 volunteered as the pay was good!

I am now in contact with Hurst's Great Nephew, Allan, who is launching a website about the film. hence me doing these pics. Once it is up, I will post a link on the forum.

Cheers, Ade.
    How can I have missed that! Thanks Ade its now on my radar cool

Look forward to seeing the website too!

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Hi Nick, here you go! How is this for a taster?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSpY6-ERm5s

Cheers. Ade.

wow..! Real Tiger, king Tiger and Panther in action !!!

Thanks for that link Ade

Nick

I thought you would like it.

Here is the poster used to advertise the film. Allan kindly did me a copy and it is awaiting framing up ready to go on the living room wall to go alongside some other pics of the XXI Indep. Para Coy (Pathfinders). The good looking chap was Peter Holt. He was in the clip you just watched. Peter served with the XXI and he and several others from the unit stared in the film. Sadly, Peter passed away many years ago but I used to write to his widow as I am Editor of the XXI Veterans Newsletter.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Magazine: Arnhem resurrected/Arnhem Herrijst  

Here is Lt Hugh Ashmore MC. Again, a member of the XXI. He was actually an actor pre war, so he was considered a good choice to take the part of the Officer giving the talk to the troops about the OP in the early sequences of the film. So you might think he would be a natural? Allan told me he took over 50 "takes" to get it right
    Attached Images Attached Images Magazine: Arnhem resurrected/Arnhem Herrijst 

Fascinating Adrian and what a privelige to be editor of their newsletter!

Silly question but I am going to ask it anyway...did they use any Germans for the film or just British and Dutch?

Nick

?

Ade this is fantastic , how have i missed it as well , never heard of it until now , a film with original fighters and original tanks and equiptment

I'm searching for a copy as we speak
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast