Become our sponsor and display your banner here

A Marine With A Unique Skill

Article about: Hello everyone, I've got a fairly large grouping of documents, photos and other items that belonged to Donald Hampton who served in the Marines from 1943-1945. The photograph collection incl

?

Default A Marine With A Unique Skill

Hello everyone,

I've got a fairly large grouping of documents, photos and other items that belonged to Donald Hampton who served in the Marines from 1943-1945. The photograph collection includes dozens of photos (including many in an album) and over 100 negatives. I've only been able to have a few prints made so far: the digital quality helps I think. The photos include his training and while in theater, and include numerous captured weapons and other pieces of equipment.

I believed that Mr. Hampton initially trained as a radio operator at New River in 1943, but his fine mechanical talent and training as a civilian in his family's business, sent him in another direction in the Corps. He was sent to the Elgin Watch College for training in watch repair, a skill that he would put to use when stationed in Guam. I believe that his unit was part of the invasion, or at there at least soon after. I noticed in some of the posted photos and others that I have that weapons were kept-at-the-ready, even as he undertook his watch repair duty.

Thanks for taking a look!.

Tom
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A Marine With A Unique Skill   A Marine With A Unique Skill  

A Marine With A Unique Skill   A Marine With A Unique Skill  

Cheers for showing Tom, fantastic lot! can't wait to seeing more negs digitized and hope you are digitizing them yourself?
    Regards
    René

?

Great collection of Documents and pic's.

Semper Fi
    Phil

The wartime photos are very interesting.

?

Thanks guys for your comments. I plan to post more as soon as I get a chance.

Rene, I had these professionally digitized. It was a little pricey, and has limited my ability to have more printed. Also, the local camera shop that did the job has since closed. I am hesitant to send the negatives in the mail to some place. I guess I could check into buying a scanner of some kind.......any recommendations? Tom

Quote by hftiii View Post
    Thanks guys for your comments. I plan to post more as soon as I get a chance.

Rene, I had these professionally digitized. It was a little pricey, and has limited my ability to have more printed. Also, the local camera shop that did the job has since closed. I am hesitant to send the negatives in the mail to some place. I guess I could check into buying a scanner of some kind.......any recommendations? Tom
    I have this USB scanner that didn't cost a lot under a 50 at a local supermarket!, I'm sure you could find an equivalent?
    here's an old neg 35mm result from a crap camera! (my late dog Gemmi)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A Marine With A Unique Skill   A Marine With A Unique Skill  

Regards
    René

That's a great tip Rene, I need something like that myself. My mother has boxes of old slide transparencies, I've never know what to do with them.

?

Thanks Rene. I will definitely look into it. I think if would be a good investment. My negatives are a little wider than the 35 mm from the 60's and 70's that I'm use to, but maybe it still work.

Tom

MAP
    ?

Love the photos!! Lets see some more!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)