Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My Great Grandfathers Service Booklet

Article about: Very recently I was involved in the demolition of my Grandfathers shed, being quite a big shed, there was a lot of boxes and in one of them in an envelope was my Great Grandfathers service b

Default My Great Grandfathers Service Booklet

Very recently I was involved in the demolition of my Grandfathers shed, being quite a big shed, there was a lot of boxes and in one of them in an envelope was my Great Grandfathers service booklet, it was the first time my Grandad had ever seen it so it was a suprise and a bit of a shock to him . He had a small look through it, and wrote a few things down that were in it. Then suprisingly he gave it to me saying that my Great Grandfather would have wanted me to have it, even though he died before I was born. Its quite strange because the only things that I have from both my Great Grandfathers are military, the other gave me a hollow Mill's bomb which I still have!
    I'll put up some pictures soon if anyone is interested in them.
    I was also hoping to do a little bit of research on him, theres a family rumour that he was awarded the DCM, but I have no idea finding out if this is true or not. So if anyone has any ideas, can you let me know.

Thanks

Danny

Default Re: My Great Grandfathers Service Booklet

Hi Danny, that is a great item to have

It is his "AB64"? I have shown some on the forum. Take a look.

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/weste...ook-ab64-6953/

When did he serve?

I would be interested to see it please.

Military awards can be researched via the London Gazette website.

Cheers, Ade.

yep Ade, thats it, this one isnt in the same condition as the ones in your collection, but it is still very important to me. Off the top of my head I think he served from 1914-1920, and somepoint during that time he transferred from the Royal Irish Fusiliers to the Machine Gun Corps.
    I'll get some photo's up, but I'm having a few problems with the uploader

Thanks

Danny

Heres some photo's, just a random selection, the second shows him, and a dog which I believe was called Sammy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My Great Grandfathers Service Booklet   My Great Grandfathers Service Booklet  

My Great Grandfathers Service Booklet   My Great Grandfathers Service Booklet  

My Great Grandfathers Service Booklet  

heres a few more...........
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My Great Grandfathers Service Booklet   My Great Grandfathers Service Booklet  

heres some more, according to my Grandad, the will was left blank because he had nothing to leave. I think this is the last of the useful photo's. It will be appreciated if anyone can help out with tracking down possible medals, where he fought etc.

Thanks

Danny

That is a fantastic AB64

You can research his medal entitlement here:

The National Archives | DocumentsOnline | World War One medal cards

It will cost a couple of pounds. I could not search him myself as I could not make out his surname.

Cheers, Ade.

Thanks for the link Ade, I'll see what I can find out. Oh, and the surname is McGurk.

Thanks for you help

Danny

This is what I got, and it all fits in with what was on the AB64.

The National Archives | DocumentsOnline | Image Details

Thanks

Danny

That is him If you pay the £2 fee you can download his medal card index. This will tell you all medals he was awarded. You will also get info on five other soldiers with the same surname, as these come on mircofilm scans.

Cheers, Ade.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast