Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

PTO Bomb Damage Assessments

Article about: Hey folks! I recently found 16 complete 3-page Bomb Damage Assessments in the trash. These assessments each contain 2 photographs (pre and post strike) and a drawing/ informational page summ

Default PTO Bomb Damage Assessments

Hey folks!

I recently found 16 complete 3-page Bomb Damage Assessments in the trash. These assessments each contain 2 photographs (pre and post strike) and a drawing/ informational page summarizing the layout of the bomb target, mission number, total percent of damage to the target caused by the bombing mission, the wing that flew the mission, the date the mission(s) took place, whether or not the mission occurred at day or night, bomb type used, av load (average payload per bomber?), amount of bombers that took part in the mission, a/c bomb p.t. (?), altitude the mission was flown at, bombing method, claims (?) and losses (how many bombers were shot down?)

All of these assessments are of missions that took place between February and August of 1945 over Japan and targets include oil refineries, small arms plants, tank production facilities, air craft production facilities and naval facilities among others... I'm seeing famous arsenal and production company names like Mitsubishi, Nagoya, Hitatchi...

Can anyone help shed some light on these? What does the information on the info page of each assessment mean (my question marks above)? Can anyone help me figure out what unit these are from? Finally, a friend of mine is an actual pilot and is very passionate about Air Corp stuff... He thinks they're authentic... but how can I tell for sure?

Photos are coming up in a few mins...

Thanks in advance!!

Here are all 16 complete assessments:
    PTO Bomb Damage Assessments

Here are two examples of complete assessments:

PTO Bomb Damage AssessmentsPTO Bomb Damage AssessmentsPTO Bomb Damage Assessments

PTO Bomb Damage AssessmentsPTO Bomb Damage AssessmentsPTO Bomb Damage Assessments

Here are the informational pages from each of the 16 assessments:

PTO Bomb Damage AssessmentsPTO Bomb Damage AssessmentsPTO Bomb Damage AssessmentsPTO Bomb Damage AssessmentsPTO Bomb Damage AssessmentsPTO Bomb Damage AssessmentsPTO Bomb Damage AssessmentsPTO Bomb Damage AssessmentsPTO Bomb Damage AssessmentsPTO Bomb Damage AssessmentsPTO Bomb Damage AssessmentsPTO Bomb Damage AssessmentsPTO Bomb Damage AssessmentsPTO Bomb Damage AssessmentsPTO Bomb Damage AssessmentsPTO Bomb Damage AssessmentsPTO Bomb Damage AssessmentsPTO Bomb Damage AssessmentsPTO Bomb Damage Assessments

Oops! Forgot to upload these last two:
    PTO Bomb Damage AssessmentsPTO Bomb Damage Assessments

The detail in some of these is just amazing!

PTO Bomb Damage AssessmentsPTO Bomb Damage AssessmentsPTO Bomb Damage AssessmentsPTO Bomb Damage Assessments

Brilliant find!...

Thanks, Gunny!

I need to post the pre and post strike photos. The level of destruction is unbelievable! The informational pages also show that for most of these missions, the 20th Air Force's B29 faced nothing more than light, inaccurate ack ack.

amazing find.