Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Recycling an "invasion" map?

Article about: Two of the items I found in a box of my uncle's papers were maps: one of France, the other being the W half of Germany. Both maps had been "crosshatched" in ink (see front detail),

Default Recycling an "invasion" map?

Two of the items I found in a box of my uncle's papers were maps: one of France, the other being the W half of Germany. Both maps had been "crosshatched" in ink (see front detail), showing the routes his QM truck company had traveled during and after the war. The map of Germany appeared to be a relatively unremarkable Michelin map until I realized that the rear of the map was not blank, but was a portion of a sectional map showing an area SE of Edinburgh, Scotland. The map was overprinted with a red "x" and the legend on the lower margin was in German.

These may be relatively common, but I had not seen such a map before.

Regards,

G. Kelly

Recycling an "invasion" map?Recycling an "invasion" map?Recycling an "invasion" map?Recycling an "invasion" map?

?

Is this map made of paper or silk. I have seen a few of the invasion maps before but not one like this, this is an interesting map

It is a paper map, and the date of the "Allemagne Ouest" side is given as 1944, while the "Scotland" side appears to be dated 1940 or 1941 (interestingly, it is essentially a copy of an English map from 1928).

Regards,

G. Kelly

I have two of these UK OS maps with German legends, though neither has been reprinted with a different map on the other side. I can't find the pics at the moment but I did post them previously.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.