Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

RED CROSS NURSE (circa 1940)

Article about: Hello gents, I was just wandering through the bay and found this stunning 17x12 image of a Red Cross Nurse. It was advertised as a circa 1940's period print from Bela of Cairo, and I am hopi

Default RED CROSS NURSE (circa 1940)

Hello gents, I was just wandering through the bay and found this stunning 17x12 image of a Red Cross Nurse. It was advertised as a circa 1940's period print from Bela of Cairo, and I am hoping that it is indeed original. It looks ok to me and the Nurse is an absolute stunner in my opinion! I certainly felt it was worth a punt at £20 anyway, just needs a nice frame. Leon.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture RED CROSS NURSE (circa 1940)  
    Attached Images Attached Images RED CROSS NURSE (circa 1940)  RED CROSS NURSE (circa 1940) 

MAP
    ?

That is a fantastic photo
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Classy looking lady.She has a film star look about Her

Quote by lew07 View Post
    Classy looking lady.She has a film star look about Her
    That's what I thought, although I hope she really was a nurse and not a model as she would have brightened up the day of any wounded servicemen. I just hope that none of them shot themselves in the foot after they had recovered just to get back into the hospital! Leon.

Can anyone tell me what the armband she is wearing represents/ I can see the kings crown but that's about it. Leon.

Queen Alexandra's Royal army nursing corps badge?
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

The Australian army nursing service wore an arm badge and it might be one of them on an armband.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture RED CROSS NURSE (circa 1940)   RED CROSS NURSE (circa 1940)  

RED CROSS NURSE (circa 1940)  
    Regards,

Jerry

Hi Jerry, thanks for that, it may be an Australian badge although it is still a bit indistinct even when blown up. It does look a little like it may be a part of "Alexandra" at the top, but again I am not sure? Leon.
    Attached Images Attached Images RED CROSS NURSE (circa 1940) 

Jerry "ol boy", I think I have cracked it!! I think it is an armband for a Mobile VAD (voluntary aid detachment) Nurse. They were with the Red Cross during both WW1 and WW2, and as the name suggests, they went wherever they were needed. It took me a while to find another example but I found an article archived on the BBC history site with a picture of the armband( below). Leon.
    Attached Images Attached Images RED CROSS NURSE (circa 1940) 

Well done Leon, I think you have it. Here is my WWII VAD badge. The lower loop on the reverse is to hang bars for each year of service. The VAD badge was introduced in the 1930's.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture RED CROSS NURSE (circa 1940)  
    Regards,

Jerry

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast