Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Soldiers Service and Pay book: the AB64

Article about: Hi Guys, here is an AB64 from my collection. The soldier although born in Liverpool, hailed from Chesterfield in Derbyshire. He was a gunner in the Royal Artillery. I picked this one up for

Default Soldiers Service and Pay book: the AB64

Hi Guys, here is an AB64 from my collection. The soldier although born in Liverpool, hailed from Chesterfield in Derbyshire. He was a gunner in the Royal Artillery.

I picked this one up for £2 some years ago now at a vintage vehicle show in Cromford, Derbyshire off one of the "junk" stalls. Most likely it came from a house clearance.

Here is the cover and first page. Note the entries about "Duty Free" labels being issuded.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Soldiers Service and Pay book: the AB64   Soldiers Service and Pay book: the AB64  

Default Re: Soldiers Service and Pay book: the AB64

Page giving personal details. He served in 291 Anti Tank battery, RA.

Sometimes some of these entries can be found to be censored out with black ink. This happened later in the war, but not every book was updated to the new regulations.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Soldiers Service and Pay book: the AB64  

Details of courses he passed, gun & weapons training, anti gas, map reading, etc.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Soldiers Service and Pay book: the AB64  

Here are the details of injections he was given : it would appear he had an adverse reaction to one of these?

Also shown are details of leave periods.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Soldiers Service and Pay book: the AB64   Soldiers Service and Pay book: the AB64  

Here we have an insert glued on over the "Will" page. This was a size roll chart for kit he was issued which could be used for quick reference in the future.

Also shown is the next of kin entries.

Here we have a very significant little note to the inside back cover of the book from a medical Officer from 28 Base General Hospital PAIFORCE.

Note: disease G.S.W Multiple. "GSW", of course, means Gun Shot wounds, multiple.

This entry was a catch all. It did not always mean bullet wounds but could cover wounds from shrapnel etc.

Glued into the back of the book are his discharge papers.

Note his service in the Near and Far East. (PAI = Persia & Iraq Force)

Near East: 17th June 1942 to 29th October 1942

PAI Force: 30th October 1942 to 27th May 1943

India: 28th May 1943 to 28th July 1944

Near East: 29th July 1944 to 7th September 1944

Also included in the book was a small booklet explaining about being demobbed. He followed the instruction and kept it with the AB64 where it still resides to this day.

Evidently he kept the book into the 1960's as this card about benefits came tucked inside it. I wonder if he suffered all his life from his wounds? I suspect he did.

I have owned this book for some years and I am now intrigued by how he was wounded in what was not a combat zone as such? "PAIFORCE" is indeed one of the forgotten Armies. Made up of British, Indian and Polish troops. They were stationed there first to defend against any possible German breakthrough either from Egypt or the Caucasses. The area was also vital, apart from the oil, as it was a major Lend - lease route into the Soviet Union.

Cheers, Ade.

Ade thats in good condition ,i have my grandfathers AB64 unfortunately its literally falling apart as you will see from the attatched images,i was wondering if its possible to get this repaired or at least stabilised ,also theres someone elses name and number in the back ,an old friend ???

Soldiers Service and Pay book: the AB64   Soldiers Service and Pay book: the AB64  

?

My late fathers .... Polish Parachute Brigade.

Gary J.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast