Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Telegrams from Nile Expedition 1898/9

Article about: Some interesting documents were shown to me recently, a relative who deals in antiquarian books often finds odd things tucked between the pages and in one particular book which was part of a

Default Telegrams from Nile Expedition 1898/9

Some interesting documents were shown to me recently, a relative who deals in antiquarian books often finds odd things tucked between the pages and in one particular book which was part of a job lot he found 14 telegrams addressed to 'Commandant' Halfa from 'Sirdar'. The 'Commandant in question was I believe Lord Kitchener and the sender 'Sirdar' was Earl Haig who was at that time C in C of the Egyptian Army during the Nile campaign of 1898. The telegrams seem original and are not scans, obviously they would have been written by the telegraphist and not the principles themselves but interesting just the same I think, some of the messages are quite mundane and deal with matters such as the whereabouts of supplies and the level of the River Nile, I have scanned three of them and I hope they are readable, I would be interested in any info anyone could provide, other names mentioned are 'Rawlinson' 'Sandbach' and 'Wingate'
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Telegrams from Nile Expedition 1898/9   Telegrams from Nile Expedition 1898/9  

Telegrams from Nile Expedition 1898/9