Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Training the 44th Indian Airborne Division 1945

Article about: Hi Guys, all the pics were kindly given to me by a Veteran. His name is Albert Tudor. Albert was a RAF Parachute jump instructor during WW2 and made 95 jumps. Eventually the RAF banned him f

Default Training the 44th Indian Airborne Division 1945

Hi Guys, all the pics were kindly given to me by a Veteran. His name is Albert Tudor. Albert was a RAF Parachute jump instructor during WW2 and made 95 jumps. Eventually the RAF banned him from jumping as he was considered too valuable to loose! Albert started in the early days of Parachuting jumping from the old Whitley bomber, sometimes from the removed rear tail gunner's position.

Many of these pics were lifted as "stills" from a training film which he helped make for the Indian Airborne in 1945. I suspect this film is now lost? Many of the pics show staged "errors", such as bad stance, static lines incorrectly placed, etc. All the pics are large sized and are printed on Air Ministry marked paper.

Quite a few years ago the Airborne Museum at Aldershot had the late Major John Howard (of "Pegasus Bridge" fame) do a lecture about the action he led. (My mate bootlegged it!) So myself and a group of friends went down to see him. I had just acquired the photos and I had told Albert, the Vet, that I would take them to the Museum and offer to loan them to the Museum so they could copy them for their archives. Guess their reaction? Thanks but "we dare not copy them, as we do not know who holds the copyright". At the time I was shocked but now I know a lot more about how Museums are ran....

The second pic shows the same soldier, with a static line error. The aircraft is a fuselage only from a C47 "Dakota".

Cheers, Ade
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Training the 44th Indian Airborne Division 1945   Training the 44th Indian Airborne Division 1945  

Default Re: Training the 44th Indian Airborne Division 1945

Now wearing KD's. Note the "Indian" pattern Parachute wings with black backing worn on the chest.

Any ideas as to the badge worn by the soldier on his right breast pocket?

Note the wear to the wooden frame from the recruit's boots.

Albert still has the military issue wristwatch that he wears in this photo. He is passing it on to his Grandson.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Training the 44th Indian Airborne Division 1945   Training the 44th Indian Airborne Division 1945  

Training the 44th Indian Airborne Division 1945  

"Little and Large" a Sikh and a Gurka soldier.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Training the 44th Indian Airborne Division 1945  

This photo shows the second pattern airborne forces steel helmet and the first pattern Denison camoflauge smock. The trousers are the denim fatigues.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Training the 44th Indian Airborne Division 1945  

Not taken in India, but still part of Albert's photos. Note the former USAAF markings on the C47 "Dakota" have been overpainted with RAF roundal markings.

Here is a link about the Division:

50airborne

I Have many more pics but none scanned.

Cheers, Ade.

?

interesting photos Ade , cheers for showing

Al

Ed_Haynes
    ?

Very nice photos! (But you knew I'd say that!) Need to pull down Praval's excellent regimental history ans see how many are there. I know the CAFHR (Centre for Armed Forces Historical Research, United Service Institution of India, New Delhi) has a ton (almost literally) of photos, documents, and so on (still under cataloging). They may have the film as I know they got a lorryload (literally) of films from MoD, but I'm not sure about their condition.

Hi Guys, glad you like them. When I get chance and will get them out and I will scan some more. I would love to see the original film too.

There are also some very small private photos taken by Albert during his time with the Gurkas. These were taken at some kind of festival and involve the slaughter of some goats. He remarked that it was a bit of a bloodbath.

Cheers, Ade.

Top photos Ade, really interesting to see some of the training shots. If the movie film ever turned up it would be fantastic

Cheers,

Grant

?

Ade , i look forward to seeing those photos - i read in a book by John Masters DSO, OBE of the 4th Prince of Wales Own Gurkha Rifles ( the book is called Bugles and a Tiger , you`ve probably read it , a great read ! ) where he describes similar goings on at festivals !

cheers Al

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast