Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Unknown Staff Sergeant

Article about: Hello, folks! This photograph comes from an album belonging to my father. Since my childhood, I am always wondered who was that American non - Commission officer. If anybody knows details ab

Default Unknown Staff Sergeant

Hello, folks!

This photograph comes from an album belonging to my father. Since my childhood, I am always wondered who was that American non - Commission officer.

Unknown Staff Sergeant

If anybody knows details about him ( identity, unit and much more ), I should be happy!!!!!!!

Thanks a lot.

Cheers,

Mehdi.

?

Default Re: Unknown Staff Sergeant

I hate to tell you friend but with just a photo of a soldier there is absolutly no way to identify him. There were over 16 million individuals serve in th US Armed forces in WWII. If you can remove the image from the mount, see if there is any ID on th back. If not your out of luck.

True - It is likely impossible. I cannot even make out the patch above his Sgt stripes.

I imagine he was a friendly soldier who stayed briefly with the family
    or got to know your father for a time. He must have had some
    special importance though, for your dad to have
    kept this photo.........
    Regards,

Steve.

?

You guys pretty much said it all. No name or ID # then you out of any luck unless theres the ultra rare situation when a family member recognizes him...which , BTW I believe HAS happened here on the forum! Seriously!, I think it was Bill T, AKA PAnzer1031 who posted a photo of a random German soldat and someone said it was hi Grandpa..and the guy even posted other pics he had and sure enough it was the same man! what a trip.
    ~Dean

?

Do you have the link to that thread??

Good evening.

Thank you for your answers. Well, the way I see things can be translate by " Nothing is impossible ". My granduncle was living with his family and his family - in - law in Saive, a small village in Liège Province ( Belgium ). During the war, his mother - in - law sent letters to her daughter - in - law and her grandson in Bruges. As she said through the letters, Saive was liberated by the American Soldiers on September 10, 1944.

They were owning a " café ". There was nothing around it... only a military camp of 4000 potential customers!!! So, almost every day ( sometimes all day long ), the " Yankees " came to this place, spending their French money and getting drunk. One of the letters says :

" A Sergeant, quite big, language teacher in Chicago, speaks French like us. He studied in france and came very often in Belgium. "

Maybe it's him? I will check the back of the photograph.

Good night.

Mehdi.

P.S. : SteveR, May I ask you a question? I read on your profile " Indian Nations ". Do you come from an Amerindian tribe?

Hi, I can tell you he wears a British made "ETO" jacket with British made Sgt's stripes on the sleeve. You can safely say he served in Europe.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Good evening.

Thanks Adrian. Unfortunately, there is nothing on the back of the photograph... an my father doesn't know who is this. Well, " l'espoir fait vivre ", as we say in French.

Good night.

Mehdi.