Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

US and 1 captured photo - ETO/Mediterranean - Downed B-17, Surrender and Equipment - PT313

Article about: These 4 photos are interesting so I wanted to share them with folks who may have an interest. The first of the series is a downed B-17 near a German Forest. The rear of the photo is marked &

Default US and 1 captured photo - ETO/Mediterranean - Downed B-17, Surrender and Equipment - PT313

These 4 photos are interesting so I wanted to share them with folks who may have an interest. The first of the series is a downed B-17 near a German Forest. The rear of the photo is marked "Direktion der Militarflugplatz - PHOTODIENST." This was brought back by an American WWII AAF Vet, whose Grandson released a book with his Grandfathers' photos. He flew in the Army Air Corps from 1917 until 1946. This is one of the photos that was in the assortment that he gave me with a piece of V-1 shrapnel which his grandfather picked up in London after an attack.

US and 1 captured photo - ETO/Mediterranean - Downed B-17, Surrender and Equipment - PT313US and 1 captured photo - ETO/Mediterranean - Downed B-17, Surrender and Equipment - PT313

Next - is a unique photo that collectors should enjoy of a group of German Soldiers dumping their equipment after the war's end in an area identified as Landeck, Austria. This photo was originally a US Army photo that became available and there are 4 piles of equipment; rifles, grenades, machine-guns and wooden crates of who knows what…

US and 1 captured photo - ETO/Mediterranean - Downed B-17, Surrender and Equipment - PT313US and 1 captured photo - ETO/Mediterranean - Downed B-17, Surrender and Equipment - PT313

The last of the series is a photo set I just picked up of PT 313, a Higgins PT Boat that went to the Mediterranean and served with Motor Torpedo Squadron 22. A website has the information on it as: "PTRon 22, assigned to the Mediterranean, based at Bastia, Corsica, and St. Tropez, France, and had action along the northwest coast of Italy and southern coast of France, operating under the British Coastal Forces. After the end of the Mediterranean campaign in April 1945, the squadron was shipped back to the United States for reconditioning and reassignment to the Pacific, but the war ended while the squadron was still in New York Struck from the Naval Register 28 November 1945."

The photo is signed by 11 of the crew on the reverse, and the close up shows the weapon systems on the bow of the boat.

The website is: PT-313

US and 1 captured photo - ETO/Mediterranean - Downed B-17, Surrender and Equipment - PT313US and 1 captured photo - ETO/Mediterranean - Downed B-17, Surrender and Equipment - PT313US and 1 captured photo - ETO/Mediterranean - Downed B-17, Surrender and Equipment - PT313

NOTE - the 5 Swastika markings on the front of the bridge… possibly 5 aircraft shoot downs?

4md
    ?

Great Photos, I like the second shot with the pile of rifles and what could possibly be a pile of sturmgewehr's in the back ground.

regards Paul

?

Neat photos.

nice photos, thanks for sharing