Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

US Glider Pilot recruitment leaflet

Article about: I picked this up for a couple dollars at a antique shop. I wonder if these guys knew what they were getting themselves into. Gary

?

Default US Glider Pilot recruitment leaflet

I picked this up for a couple dollars at a antique shop. I wonder if these guys knew what they were getting themselves into. Gary
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture US Glider Pilot recruitment leaflet   US Glider Pilot recruitment leaflet  

US Glider Pilot recruitment leaflet   US Glider Pilot recruitment leaflet  

US Glider Pilot recruitment leaflet  

?

Default re: US Glider Pilot recruitment leaflet

I don't want to know what it must have been like to fly was was essentially a coffin with wings; into hostile territory. I can tell you, flying without an engine with intent to land in a field somewhere, things can go fubar pretty fast. I have nothing but respect for anyone crazy enough to do that.

Thanks for sharing the pamplet, was a great read.

Nitram

?

Nitram glad you liked it you would have been right around the perfect age for this training

?

I've actually passed my private pilot skill test this thursday Given the option, not sure I'd sign up however!

Nitram

That is a nice item. Never seen it before.

US Glider Pilots were pulled pout of the line as soon as possible being considered too valueable to risk losing fighting as Infantry (Unlike their British counterparts).

I have done 5 glider flights myself. Lez bought me a day's instruction course for my 40th birthday. Really enjoyed it. My instructor was ex-SAS.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Default Re: US Glider Pilot recruitment leaflet

Nitram nice job congratulation on your pilot test. Ade you are the man. That was one nice gift that Lez gave you. My wife git me a flight OB a WWII trainer one year it was the coolest flight I ever had. I have a set of glider wings I just might have to make up a little display . Gary

Hi Gary, that would make a super display.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Does anybody know what shoulder patch the glider pilot would have worn on d-day.

Hi Gary, you have a few options. 9th Troop Carrier Command flew the Day missions. Patches worn were the 9th Troop Carrier Command patch, or the plain 9th USAAF or even just the plain USAAF patch.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Thanks Ade I have those patches cool