Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Vietnam and Egypt Photo's

Article about: Was going through photos today, and thought I would scan and share these: 1st picture is of my father in Vietnam sometime in 1968. He is the one kneeling on the right with the darker colored

?

Default Vietnam and Egypt Photo's

Was going through photos today, and thought I would scan and share these:

1st picture is of my father in Vietnam sometime in 1968. He is the one kneeling on the right with the darker colored helmet. I still have that exact helmet, and his web gear.

2nd picture is of my father at Wadi Abu Shihat in Egypt sometime in early 1980. This was an ex-Russian Air Force Base used by the U.S. in 1980 as a staging base for “Operation Eagle Claw” the mission to rescue the hostages in Iran. The base was known as Wadi-Kena by the U.S. servicemen

All of the bunkers and aircraft hangers were underground. The mission failed when one of the rescue helicopters crashed into a C-130 transport while refueling in Iran during the mission, eight servicemen lost their lives. The mission was then canceled by President Carter and the injured were flown to this base in Egypt, then on to Germany.
    My dad says when they were cleaning up the base preparing it for the mission, that there were rats everywhere.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by PMKS; 08-06-2012 at 04:01 AM.

Default Re: Vietnam and Egypt Photo's

Nice shots thanks for showing, In the VN shot are they air force? I'd love to see the helmet and gear

?

Default Re: Vietnam and Egypt Photo's

Air Force yes,
    My dad went to school for 8 months to work on a certain plane, plane not in theatre when he arrived, handed a M16 and field gear, spent his tour on the wire. He had never shot a M16 before, they fired M1 Carbines in boot camp.

I have the helmet, web belt, one M14 ammo pouch, first aid pouch, and canteen. I found it all hanging in my Grandfathers Garage in the early 1980's. I'll try to round it all up and take a picture.