Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

The War Through the Eyes of My Neighbor

Article about: Here is the the inside of the liner. Sorry it took so long to post! It's dirty... but even after clearing where the maker mark should be... I couldn't find anything!

Default Re: The War Through the Eyes of My Neighbor

Ive seen the last picture in a different angle from a vet that served in Okinawa maybe it is the same person?!? Ill try to get some pictures.

Quote by sitges1990 View Post
    Certainly captures the terrible results of war. Looks like the first two guys were killed by flame throwers, which were used regularly in the island campaigns. I wonder what the story is on the guy that was beheaded? Looks like maybe he was killed by the damage to his left eye and then the head was taken as a trophy. Interesting photos, and the victor is wearing an american sergeant's uniform top.

Jay
    It certainly is very interesting... and makes me a uneasy just looking at it. If anything, I guess it just goes to show you how horrible war can be and how it can dehumanize people...

?

Those pictures show the true crultiy of war. Wow the one with the headless jap solider really hit me hard.
    Thanks For The Pictures Joe
    Ryan

great historical photos.thanks for posting them.so we can learn more from them..and great story.keep posting if having more

Quote by AmericanKraut View Post
    Ive seen the last picture in a different angle from a vet that served in Okinawa maybe it is the same person?!? Ill try to get some pictures.
    I did a google image search last night and found the same picture. So now it stands to question whether or not this was a widely circulated photo and my neighbor picked it up as a souvenir, OR did he and a bunch of other soldiers have cameras on hand when this happened...

The photo of the decapitated head is well known, it in fact was taken in Papua New Guinea in '44-'45. It shows an indiginous member of the Motu tribe who were employed by the American and Australian forces who were fighting the Japanese in PNG for many months.

The Motu were feared headhunters, but respected the allies because they were treated well by them with food and medical aid, unlike the Japanese who tortured them, killed them and burnt their villages. They were employed as guides and trackers on the feared Kokoda track, and also as stretcher bearers too. They had an unofficial remit that they could hunt Japanese soldiers as it was part of their culture that had never been completely eradicated by missionaries. Naturally the Japanese were terrified of them!

The photo shows that the head has not received a wound to the left eye, but is covered by some folded paper or maybe a paybook/ I.D. document possibly belonging to the hapless (or headless?) Japanese soldier.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Quote by big ned View Post
    The photo of the decapitated head is well known, it in fact was taken in Papua New Guinea in '44-'45. It shows an indiginous member of the Motu tribe who were employed by the American and Australian forces who were fighting the Japanese in PNG for many months.

The Motu were feared headhunters, but respected the allies because they were treated well by them with food and medical aid, unlike the Japanese who tortured them, killed them and burnt their villages. They were employed as guides and trackers on the feared Kokoda track, and also as stretcher bearers too. They had an unofficial remit that they could hunt Japanese soldiers as it was part of their culture that had never been completely eradicated by missionaries. Naturally the Japanese were terrified of them!

The photo shows that the head has not received a wound to the left eye, but is covered by some folded paper or maybe a paybook/ I.D. document possibly belonging to the hapless (or headless?) Japanese soldier.

Regards, Ned.
    Thanks for the informative post, Ned!

Were copies of this famous photo available for soldiers as souvenirs, or do you think it's possible that my neighbor was also there and took the photo himself from this angle?

It's definitely a copy....unless he sold the rights to LIFE or Stars & Stripes magazine, they are very common, especially from that angle.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Great photos!

Oops! Forgot to post a picture of the inside of the helmet liner. I will do so shortly...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast