Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

The War Through the Eyes of My Neighbor

Article about: Here is the the inside of the liner. Sorry it took so long to post! It's dirty... but even after clearing where the maker mark should be... I couldn't find anything!

Default The War Through the Eyes of My Neighbor

Yesterday, while shoveling the heavy snow that New York got hit with, I took a short breather to chat with my neighbor. I had been best friends with his son while in grade school, but as we grew up, we grew apart...

As we caught up, we got to talking about how I currently work as a 7th-12th grade history teacher. Of course, I mentioned my hands-on teaching methods and how WWII is my favorite era in history. His eyes lit up and he told me about his father's service. He didn't remember many specifics, but he shared that his father was a Seabee and that he landed on Iwo Jima and/or Okinawa. He said he would dig around in the basement to see if he could dig up any of his father's old war "stuff."

Today, he dropped off an envelope of photographs. He said his father carried a camera everywhere he went while in the service, so he had a lot of pictures. He wasn't sure if "more graphic" pictures would be appropriate for a school setting, so he only brought over the "PG" photos he could find... I agreed that I wouldn't include the graphic pictures in my lessons, but I would still like to see those photos because of my personal interest. He also mentioned that he may have his father's M1 helmet, and some other gear and belongings... I will be sure to keep you all informed!

The Vet. actually lived right next door for the longest time, but he passed away before I can even remember...

Here are the pics:

Default Re: The War Through the Eyes of My Neighbor

Based on the color of the sand on the landing beaches, and the amount of foliage, I assume these pictures were taken on Okinawa...

The War Through the Eyes of My NeighborThe War Through the Eyes of My NeighborThe War Through the Eyes of My NeighborThe War Through the Eyes of My NeighborThe War Through the Eyes of My NeighborThe War Through the Eyes of My Neighbor

This photo could be taken on Iwo Jima based on the darker looking sand? BUT, it could just be the lighting/ poor quality of the shot?

Amazing photos Giz, did he gave them to you?
    Cheers.
    Nuno

This is the only photo with a caption. The back reads: "Jap suicide plane. Captured May 6, 1945. Baka plane. Jet propulsion."

May 6, 1945 could mean that this photo was taken on Okinawa, as that battle took place from April 1 - June 21, 1945.

Quote by NunoGTI View Post
    Amazing photos Giz, did he gave them to you?
    Cheers.
    Nuno
    Thanks for the response!

He didn't really mention if I could have them or not. I will use them in my lesson and attempt to return them. We shall see if he will let me keep them or not.

Great photos. Look forward to seeing more.

Quote by roger9344 View Post
    Great photos. Look forward to seeing more.
    I'll post more as soon as I get them!

?

Congrats On the Awesome Things Joe! I love that suicide jet picture. That is awesome!
    Ryan

Thanks! It's something you don't see every day

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast