Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WW1/WW2 paperwork & souvenirs

Article about: following on from my AFS helmet thread, here are photos of the other bits, namely; small bits of aircraft wreckage and shrapnel with paperwork for the aircraft concerned, last appeal to reas

Default WW1/WW2 paperwork & souvenirs

following on from my AFS helmet thread, here are photos of the other bits, namely; small bits of aircraft wreckage and shrapnel with paperwork for the aircraft concerned, last appeal to reason propaganda paper with a Somerset CC War Gas chart, Trench Map of the Serre/Gommecourt area with No. 80 shrapnel shell fuzes, individuals cap badge, dog tag and 1917 dated whistle, booklets relating to the 240th Brigade, RFA detailing their activities during WW1 and discharge papers for the Sgt concerned, 1917 dated message pad, the pad containing details for maintaining a gun team including the horses and what appears to be pages of firing plans ie slightly varying co-ordinates - maybe a creeping barrage, and lastly 3 pages of Barrage Tables showing the rate of 2 rds per minute per gun on various co-ordinates. The WW1 items all relate to a sgt in the 240th Brigade.Attachment 657984Attachment 657985Attachment 657986Attachment 657987Attachment 657988Attachment 657989
    Dave

It's always fascinating to see what the different stuff is that people kept as souvenirs. Nice little grouping!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Thanks for showing these Dave.

An interesting and varied group. The 1917 whistle is of the type thought to be for OR's/NCO's though I have also heard that they are for RA use.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

yes, but probably all that is left as a reminder of this mans life. So many experiences and stories lost for ever.

thats interesting Jerry. Having collected since the mid 50s, I realise from these forums that I collected but learned little! To be fair, even in Cornwall, reminders of the war were all around, aircraft being dumped in reclamation sites, battleships in the Tamar waiting overseas buyers or the torch, military and civil defence excercises (as children, we were told to go and get food from the WVS mobile canteens!), Plymouth was only just starting to be cleared & rebuilt and the bombed areas out towards Devonport where the rubble still stood where once there were houses left a lasting impression on me. And of course, there were the disabled ex servicemen. My grandfather lived in Cardiff and blind or those with missing limbs were on many street corners selling matches, razor blades etc. And everyone I knew had been in a war. So I assumed as a young child that I too would be involved so decided to collect helmets and gas masks for the family in readiness for the next one. And I've never really stopped! Even though I have been selling off my collection for 7 years, I still can't help buying it in at the same time. But the aircraft cockpit, air to air missiles and all the large ordnance have now gone thank goodness.

Hi Dave,

my family was from Cardiff and it is where I grew up and spent most of my live, though I live in west Wales these days. My grandfather served in WWI with the Northants and my Dad with the Welsh Div in WWII and my uncles were Royal Sigs post war, so many had seen war but thankfully all came back.

The loss of the history with so many objects is a shame, but that is so often the case, though in these days of the internet it is sometimes possible to trace some of the history of these objects in a way that could not be done previously without a lot of legwork.

I look forward to seeing more of your items as and when you can post them.
    Regards,

Jerry

What a small world. I was particularly pleased when a few years ago from another local collector I obtained a fibre helmet impressed with the Cardiff Tram & Trolleybus Company stamp. I used to love going to Cardiff, a lot different to living in Cornwall but a very friendly city.

Quote by rrickoshae View Post
    What a small world. I was particularly pleased when a few years ago from another local collector I obtained a fibre helmet impressed with the Cardiff Tram & Trolleybus Company stamp. I used to love going to Cardiff, a lot different to living in Cornwall but a very friendly city.
    Hi Dave, yes Cardiff is a great city. Not sure when you last went there, but there is a big collector of home front helmets in Jacobs market near the central station and he has them on display in his shop, lots of them are to local firms and Home guard.

I really like Cornwall, I went down last time about 5 years back to Helston for the floral dance and also to Mevagissey, lovely.
    Regards,

Jerry

I haven't been back for probably 10 years but I was planning to take my mum back whilst she's able to so now I have an even better reason to go! Thanks for that. Dave

Quote by rrickoshae View Post
    I haven't been back for probably 10 years but I was planning to take my mum back whilst she's able to so now I have an even better reason to go! Thanks for that. Dave
    He is on the first floor at the back, Sean is his name, a really good and friendly guy.
    Regards,

Jerry