Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 British National Registration Identity Cards

Article about: Hi Guys, here is my Dad's identity card which was issued to him, as a child, in May 1940. The National Registration Card was issued to everyone in Great Britain. Introduced in 1939 at the ou

Default WW2 British National Registration Identity Cards

Hi Guys, here is my Dad's identity card which was issued to him, as a child, in May 1940.

The National Registration Card was issued to everyone in Great Britain. Introduced in 1939 at the outbreak of war. It had to be carried at all times if you were an adult and shown upon demand to the Police etc. Initially, all cards were coloured brown like my Dad's example, but in 1943 a new blue coloured card was introduced for adults.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 British National Registration Identity Cards   WW2 British National Registration Identity Cards  

Default Re: WW2 British National Registration Identity Cards

Here is an adults blue ID card issued in 1943. Condition is a bit dog eared, despite it being carried in a private purchase card cover.

The ID card system was finally done away with by Churchill in 1952.

Now of course the present Govt would like to bring them back....

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 British National Registration Identity Cards   WW2 British National Registration Identity Cards  

WW2 British National Registration Identity Cards  

OKW
    ?

pretty hopeless for security without a photo. Perhaps they thought no one would be so underhand to use somebody elses.

Quote by OKW View Post
    pretty hopeless for security without a photo. Perhaps they thought no one would be so underhand to use somebody elses.
    It really sums up the British character;

Hello,
    I've still got my Father's Mother's Sisters, and my own ID and ration books from the 50's. Looking through them I notice I'm still entitled to some 'welfare' milk, orange juice, cheese, and bacon. My local supermarket refused to honour them! Does anyone know which government department I should complain to?
    Here's an example.
    Best regards,
    Guy.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 British National Registration Identity Cards