Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

ww2 pictures of naval vessels

Article about: Hi everyone, I picked these up a few weeks ago in a lot of other paperwork and since then I have been trying with no luck to identify them and wondered if anyone could help? kind regards Ed.

Default ww2 pictures of naval vessels

Hi everyone, I picked these up a few weeks ago in a lot of other paperwork and since then I have been trying with no luck to identify them and wondered if anyone could help?
    kind regards
    Ed.

no idea,but that's a big ships dog on the turret wow.

Top picture is of a 'Queen Elizabeth' class battleship, either 'Malaya' or 'Barham'-these did not receive the major modernisations that the other 3 members of the class received in the 1930s, so differed in appearance from them-last photo is a 'Queen Elizabeth' as originally completed during WW1-various modifications were made to the ships during the 1920s leading into the major rebuilds to some in the 30s.

PS-the photos in the centre are not WW2 but WW1 period, showing old pre dreadnought battleships (could be pre war photos for that matter).

First one I think is a Revenge class battleship, so either Ramillies, Resolution, Revenge, Royal Oak or Royal Sovereign. I thought the last one maybe the battle cruiser Hood, but on looking closer I doubt it.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

ned-first is a QE not an R-they never had the large single funnel when the 2 funnels of the Queens were trunked together in the 20s-the first pic could be any of the Queens given all the other photos are well pre WW2.

2nd pic may be the Russian battleship Poltava-sunk at anchor at Port Arthur during the Russo-Japanese war of 1904/05, salvaged and commissioned by the Japs as the Tango then sold back to the Russians in 1916 during WW1 as the Chesma-pic would date from that period.

Many thanks guys, once again im amazed at the knowledge of the members of this forum!!

so Lithgow, top pic QE class 'Malaya' or 'Barham' taken in 1930's?
    bottom pic QE class early 20's before modernisations?

thanks again!!!

bananamafia-it's a little complicated-1st pic could be any QE class ship prior to the major modernisations starting in the early/mid 30s to Warspite, Queen Elizabeth and Valiant-the modifications were all done at different times and vary in detail as a result-1st pic likely to be Malaya as she had the least modernisation if the pic is later than 1935 or so. The 3rd pic is too small and blurry to give an accurate idea but it's a British pre dreadnought.