Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WW2 RAF Log book and medal find

Article about: Laugh all you like im no hand writing expert and own a few log books myself but the hand writing looks very modern in style. I know everyone is different but all the writing in my ones which

Default WW2 RAF Log book and medal find

Here we have a interesting RAF Log book and medal pick up looks like the guy was flying mainly in the Far east and India
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 RAF Log book and medal find   WW2 RAF Log book and medal find  

WW2 RAF Log book and medal find   WW2 RAF Log book and medal find  

Hi kradman,

Are you certain that the log book is genuine? Only reason I ask is that 84 squadron were flying Vultee Vengence's in January '45 and converted to Mosquito's in February '45. I suppose Hurricane N2538 could be said to be a squadron hack or other odd type such as a recon aircraft, but the serial number is from the 2nd block of Hurricane I's built by Hawkers at Kingston and Brooklands and delivered between 29th September 1939 to 1st May 1940. Most of these aircraft flew in the Battle of France and later the Battle of Britain. I find it a bit of a stretch that this aircraft lasted 5 years in operational service, even if it was updated to say, a IIc as some were, it's unheard of as far as I know.

I know these log books are becoming increasingly expensive, and groupings even more so, and this has caused a lot of outright forgery to occur as was highlighted recently on a BBC programme looking directly at such groupings as above that are 'put together' or forged. I hope this is not the case, but i'd want direct provenance and the details of the log book and grouping looked at by the
    necessary people. I would suggest you may want someone like Andy Saunders who can be found on the 'Flypast' forum to take a look, as he's the guy who was the expert on the BBC programme.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Hi Ned I am 100% sure this set is ok as it came from a rubbish tip and all the other bits with it came together ,I know there are fake ones out there but what this lot cost I am sure it is ok ,I missed the guys flying clothing that was brought by someone else who was going to wear them on his motorbike,looking at the log book most of the aircraft he has been on were DC3 and two engine aircraft it has only the 1945 entry that has the hurricane on it before this it has him on Dakotas with No 194 Sqn at Rangoon

Hi Kradman,

any chance of taking a photo of his 'record of service' on the back page of the logbook? Hurricane N2538, according to Air Britain's Royal Aircraft N1000-N9999, was 'lost 19.5.1940' serving with 213 Squadron in France.

Cheers,

Tom

That kind of backs up my concerns, I can't imagine a very early production Hurricane staying on charge for nearly 5 years, although I am aware they were still in frontline service in the Far East in 1945.

Something is wrong here.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Here are some more photos , not sure what going on with this lot , As I put before brought it from a rubbish tip for very little money so cant see any reason for mistakes in the log , I have added also photos of his Sevice book
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 RAF Log book and medal find   WW2 RAF Log book and medal find  

These entries all look exactly the same-as if they were entered all at the same time......strange that there are no small deviations...
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

It looks pretty kosher ,penmanship used to be virtue and a skill. Any chance to see the Lh side of the back of the log? I'd be very happy with this group.

Hi William I would have thought the owner would have written all his own flight details , These sort of thing aren't my interest it just something I saved from the rubbish

Why would anyone in their right mind just take this to the tip? You would have thought with the increase of tv shows on antiques etc that people would recognise these as more than rubbish.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast