Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

WWII pictures need help identifying

Article about: I have a whole bunch of WWII pictures and most are just regular town shots and fairly unidentifiable but these I thought there may be a chance to find out where they are/were. Any help you c

Default WWII pictures need help identifying

I have a whole bunch of WWII pictures and most are just regular town shots and fairly unidentifiable but these I thought there may be a chance to find out where they are/were. Any help you can give is appreciated.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWII pictures need help identifying   WWII pictures need help identifying  

WWII pictures need help identifying   WWII pictures need help identifying  

Default Re: WWII pictures need help identifying

I can't help with the first three, but, some clues are present in the bottom right. The signs appear to be in French I think and those are American flags flying off the statue. Interesting memorial on the left.

Jay

Hi, the bottom left picture is taken in Munich and is called the Baveria Statue and is situated at TheresienWiese where Oktober fest takes place.

hope this helps,
    Craig

?

I think the bottom right picture could be holland, it reminds me of amsterdam

?

Bottom right picture is either France OR Belgium

Increase the scale of it and you can see the wording on the building at left on it, it says "Couronnes Mortuaires".
    When you put it into Google it comes up with rest homes/funeral parlours/wreath makers!

The top two pictures are really bugging me, because I am sure that I have seen them somewhere before, I think they are on the Belgian/France border area but not 100% sure!

Sorry I cant help anymore.

Regards etc

Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

Thanks for the help already. This adds so much to the puzzle...especially since his unit was never within 50 miles of Munich! I guess he went on an excursion when the war ended.

?

Quote by albatrosdva View Post
    Thanks for the help already. This adds so much to the puzzle...especially since his unit was never within 50 miles of Munich! I guess he went on an excursion when the war ended.

Hi albatrosdva

I assume from this last comment that you know the unit in question, if so, what is it, it MAY help us to nail down the pictures a bit more mate.

Regards etc

Ian D

The person that took the pictures was Lt. William Frank Lambeth. For most of the European war he was attached to A company 81st Chemical Mortar Battalion, US Army. He was wounded in September 1944 and spent a couple months in England before making it back in time for the Moselle River crossing. He was at that time attached to C Company 81st Chem mrtr Btn. He was reattached to A Company some time in Mar. 1945. I tell you all of this because as a special unit the 81st mortar battalion was attached at times to whole different armies no less divisions. The unit history is online so you should be able to find it. Not knowing what to call the subjects in the pictures I have found nothing online but maybe some of you all will be able to help. Thanks so much already.

?

Thanks for that extra bit of info mate, that should, hopefully, make it a bit easir for some of us to pick up on where the photos were taken.

Regards etc

Ian D