Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

1940 Soviet occupation of Ukraine stamp

Article about: Good morning. I have managed to make out most of this "badly pressed" stamp: Rovenskaya Oblast Ostrog (Ostroh) city personal stamp of Ivan Fedorenko This does not look like a NKVD

Default 1940 Soviet occupation of Ukraine stamp

Good morning.
    I have managed to make out most of this "badly pressed" stamp:

Rovenskaya Oblast
    Ostrog (Ostroh) city
    personal stamp of Ivan Fedorenko

This does not look like a NKVD stamp, the center signature is also a stamp and NOT hand applied, with the number 8 at center too.

I am trying to identify this Ivan Fedorenko and his duties during that time, but have located nothing.

Any ideas or help?

Thank you.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1940 Soviet occupation of Ukraine stamp   1940 Soviet occupation of Ukraine stamp  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 1940 Soviet occupation of Ukraine stamp
    P
    Many

?

Hello,
    First of all, it would be better to post all the pages. This gives better perception of the item and provider more consistent information for analysis.

This is so called "personal responsibility stamp". Could also be used on wax seals. Often in connection to sealing doors and keys, and so on.
    Only some people assigned the duty would get such seal. The seal was identified with a number or/and name.

Why such stamp is present here? Here is my theory.
    This is Polish passport, issued for a woman of Russian nationality (Maria Wachgauzen?) from town Oztrog.
    The blue stamp says: "passport issued in the year 1940".
    I think, the old Polish pass was cancelled and new Soviet issued.
    I assume this IVAN FEDORENKO was working in the passport department maybe and had to facilitate the paperwork.
    So his stamp assured that he did the document exchange?
    Last edited by Egorka; 01-26-2018 at 11:50 PM.

Thank you very much.
    Well, the document was never used at the end, it is empty, but has these oval stamps laced on the inner-jacket-cover and also onto the center 2 pages, that is it.
    The stamp on the title page from 1940 is correct for exchanging the document for the "internal" Soviet passport, but was puzzled about the round stamp belonging to Ivan Fedorenko...
    The center has a number 8, so this is what you were referring to as the "seal was identified with a number of/and name"...
    My last question is this: the same seal for doors & keys was also used then by the officials who issued the exchange passports as well?
    Thank you again.

?

Hello,
    I am not sure why you say this passport was never issued. It looks legit from what I have seen.
    The blue stamp in Russian about reissue means exactly that this Polish pass was revoked and a new Soviet one was issued.

Of course I do NOT know why this personal seal was used on this pass.
    I only have a theory, that during pass exchange someone had to verify the information in the old one. Or maybe all the EMPTY pages were marked, so that no one could add any information after certain point.

Hello again,
    Seems we got confused here, did not write never issued, wrote that it was never used, it is empty without actual visas or travel.
    Seems that though the ID travel document was issued back in 1936 and re-validated in 1939, the outbreak of war caught the holder unprepared and thus unable to make use of it at the end...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1940 Soviet occupation of Ukraine stamp   1940 Soviet occupation of Ukraine stamp  

?

OK. Well, it says on the front page, that this is "passport for foreigners". And Maria's nationality is written as "Russian".
    So I guess it means, that this is NOT a passport of a Polish national, right?

Correct. It was issued to those who where stateless or contested Polish nationality. Earlier versions would have the 1922 Nansen clause and be seen as Nansen passports, those did come out in the 1920's and also in the 1930's, but mainly issued to refugees, see an example from Germany. The other image is a passport issued to a Polish National.

1940 Soviet occupation of Ukraine stamp  

The white/green cover here is of the ID travel document here, not to a Polish national, as you mentioned as well earlier.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1940 Soviet occupation of Ukraine stamp  

?

Hello,

Right, this is a Polish passport for a foreign national (like Nansen passport) which was issued in Poland according to decree #254 from 16.11.1929 for "people who don't have any citizenship". Unlike Nansen passport , these could be issued for 2 or more years at a time. In this case 3 years.

This suggests that the holder, MARIA WACHGAUZEN, was a White movement emigrant.

And it looks so far, that my guess was correct - all the personal stamps from FEDORENKO are only on empty fields or empty pages. If so, then they were used to mark empty areas to prevent possible addition of information.
    Last edited by Egorka; 01-14-2018 at 12:47 PM.

Good morning.
    Thank you for the additional information, very useful.