Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Civil War Veteran Identification Book

Article about: Hard-covered Identification Book of a Civil War Veteran, GV724370, dated July 17th, 1923 to Sergei Romanovich Pravdyuk, with photograph of very young boy, perhaps an adopted orphan son of th

Default Civil War Veteran Identification Book

Hard-covered Identification Book of a Civil War Veteran, GV724370, dated July 17th, 1923 to Sergei Romanovich Pravdyuk, with photograph of very young boy, perhaps an adopted orphan son of the regiment, from Pravdyuki, Sumy Oblast, UkSSR, served October 21st, 1920 to April 17th, 1922, no awards nor wounds. (Note one word is misspelled, учавствовал, which should be участвовал from часть.)

Last edited by Bill Garvy; 03-31-2018 at 02:47 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Civil War Veteran Identification Book
    P
    Many

?

Hello Bill,
    I have an interesting theory, which I cannot really prove. But it's quite possible option.
    His name was possibly made up when he, as an orphan, was adopted by a regiment.
    You see his surname resembles the name of the village he came from. And his patronymic resembles the district he came from.
    So it is possible (and happened for sure) that the nameless orphans were given artificial names.

Of course, the surname could be just because his family has the name after the village they lived in. So I was hesitating at fist to suggest this. But when I noticed that the patronymic is also resembling a geographical location from the same area, I though this theory has some merit.

But no way to prove, I am afraid.
    I could not find him on podvignaroda.ru

Quote by Bill Garvy View Post
    "...perhaps an adopted orphan son of the regiment..."
    Precisely what I was endeavoring to convey...

?

Hello,
    To illustrate my previous post, here is some information from WW2 period for 214 Guards rifle "Voroponovo" regiment.
    This is the regiment, where my grandmother served as a nurse. This regiment also had a boy Lenia (Leonid) as a regiments son.

A couple of memoir accounts describe the story of how 5 y.o. Lenia was discovered in a West Ukrainian forest in August 1944.
    The accounts are too long to translate here, but here are some highlights relevant to this topic.

5 y.o. Lenia knew only his fist name. So when formalities were fulfilled and the regiment got approval and could keep the boy, the question arose naturally what his full name should be. There was missing surname and middle name (patronym).
    There were A LOT of debate in the regiment. Especially about patronym. Until finally, one of the officers suggested the following:
    patronym: Voroponovich - after the regiment's honorific name "Voroponovo" (a village captured by the regiment during Stalingrad battle).
    surname: Dnisterov - after the river DNISTER where the boy was found.

That is how regiment's son Lenia became Leonid Voroponovich Dnisterov.

PS: My grandmother is sitting on the most left.