Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Does anyone know who this is?

Article about: I've been trying to find information on the identity of this lady. She was alive as of a few years ago, and I was hoping to write her a letter if she is still living (and if I manage to loca

Default Does anyone know who this is?

I've been trying to find information on the identity of this lady. She was alive as of a few years ago, and I was hoping to write her a letter if she is still living (and if I manage to locate her address - there lies the challenge). Any help would be appreciated!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Does anyone know who this is?
    P
    Many

The only info i can find on this is that the photo was supposedly taken at Leningrad, the thing that puzzles me is the rifle as it looks like a 1903 Springfield and i'm not aware that the US supplied these to the Soviets!....

Yes, that's rather odd! Like you, the only info I could find was that the picture was taken at Leningrad. I've emailed a friend of mine to see if he knows anything about her.

How do you know that she was alive as of a few years ago?
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Here she is, last known living in Washington State USA. She seems to have been a prolific writer post war. I'm sure you may get some information regarding her from her personal website

Kyra Petrovskaya Wayne :: Author :: Books :: Novels :: The Chaperone :: Shurik :: Max The Dog That Refused to Die :: Quest for Empire

Contact

Or from the references that name her publishers on her Wiki page.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyra_Petrovskaya_Wayne

It all appears rather theatrical to me, perhaps used for propaganda?? But there is obviously some truth in it all somewhere I should imagine. BTW, are you perhaps a journalist by any chance?

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Wagriff - I found an interview that had been published in 2007, so I held on to that for a while.

Big Ned - I found an address in Washington with her name. Seems legit down to the middle initial, so I mailed off a letter today. I hope she gets it soon!

Thanks for everyone's help. I really appreciate it.

Just to confirm: Here is one of the articles I've found about her. Thought some of you might like to read it.

Nobility, War Shaped Author’s Life, Shadows Her Writings - Story

Perhaps it could be one of the .303 chambered ones they sent over to the UK as part of Lend Lease and it found its way over to Leningrad ? ...

sorry, made a mistake, the contract was cancelled for the .303 variant and instead 134,000 .30 rifles were sent over...

Quote by HistoryMan View Post
    Perhaps it could be one of the .303 chambered ones they sent over to the UK as part of Lend Lease and it found its way over to Leningrad ? ...

sorry, made a mistake, the contract was cancelled for the .303 variant and instead 134,000 .30 rifles were sent over...
    She was a GI bride according to her website, moving to the U.S. in 1946. Looking at the photo above I'm immediately struck by the missing majority of the background of the photo, it makes me think that it has been deliberately cropped out to hide something. The fact that she's holding a U.S. Springfield rifle and behind her is a building that most definitely appears to me to be American in it's design and architecture makes me really wonder if adding all these parts together, the photo was taken POST 1945 when she had in fact already moved to the States with her American husband, that would explain it all rather neatly.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

If it helps, here is another picture of her with the rifle.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast