Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Red Army ID book-missing in action i 1942(?)

Article about: Hi guys I got my first Red Army ID book for equivalent of just few dollars. Nice example dated 1944 for a soldier drafter in July 1944. But the most interesting thing for me was identificati

Post Red Army ID book-missing in action i 1942(?)

Hi guys
    I got my first Red Army ID book for equivalent of just few dollars. Nice example dated 1944 for a soldier drafter in July 1944.
    But the most interesting thing for me was identification of owner. So let me tell you all about it...
    Owner was Ukrainian private Mikhail Grigorevich Tarasenko born in 1901 in Chernigovsky oblast.
    As usually I tried Pamyat Naroda first and found guy with the same name, born in the same year, also Ukrainian. But there was one thing... he was missing in action since July 4th 1942 (was from 124th rifle div.) Seems like it was a miss. Well this name was not so rare and there could be few Ukrainians with the same name born in the same year and with lack of birthplace written in book I wasn't able to confirm if it was the same man. So I gave up the ID thinking the owner was late war replacement, probably not possible to ID but I get the book as it was still worth these few dollars.
    Soon after it came I started digging through it, and thinking if I could miss some trace which could help me ID it. So I came back to 124th RD Red Army man and I took a look at casualties list and found name and home adress of his wife- Tarasenko Maria Makarovna (?) Khakrhov, and this rang a bell "wait there was some similar name inside this book"
    And found it.
    "wife-Maria Makarovna (?) Kharkhov, street..."
    Street adress was different in 1942 missing report and in book but remember that between 1942 and 1944 Kharkhov faced heave fighting for the city twice and their first home could have been destroyed or taken for military use.
    However finding this I was 99,9% sure that it was ONE and the same Mikhail Tarasenko who was missing in 1942 (probably was taken as POW and probably there were no witnesses of his captivite or all were killed. How many Mikhail Grigoreich Tarasenko's born in 1901 in Ukraine having wife Maria Makarovna (?) there could be?
    For the second time he was drafted near Kharkhov on 17th July 1944 but seems like he was not for long time in the army spending some time in reserve rifle units.

What do you think? Was it correct Id?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Red Army ID book-missing in action i 1942(?)  
    Last edited by Marinecollector42; 03-24-2018 at 08:06 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Red Army ID book-missing in action i 1942(?)
    P
    Many

I can see that his first unit was 10th company, 3rd rifle battalion, 52nd spare rifle regiment with date 22nd July 1944.
    Another unit is not clear for me- 196th T. Za. (zapasnaya?) Br. (Brigada) Can anyone help with this unit?
    There is also another unit with date 16th august 1944 (written with Purple pencil) but can't figure out what's written there.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Red Army ID book-missing in action i 1942(?)   Red Army ID book-missing in action i 1942(?)  

first page, his military qualification numer-1 (rifleman I suppose).
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Red Army ID book-missing in action i 1942(?)  

Some more... There's some text written under his wife adress but can't figure out what's that, probably something related to his discharge. (I've tried to make it as clear as possible, I will appreciate any help with translation).
    What's interesting there's nothing written in place where weapon type and number should be. Just like he was never geaven a gun.
    Also a screenshot of 124th casualties report from 4th July 1942 with Tarasenko mentioned.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Red Army ID book-missing in action i 1942(?)   Red Army ID book-missing in action i 1942(?)  

Red Army ID book-missing in action i 1942(?)  

And the last thing.
    I was trying to find what happend in 124th rifle Div. sector on the day Tarasenko was reported as missing without a trace. Turned out that on 4th July 1942 124th RD occupying positions around village Razdolnoe was attacked by massive force consisting of German 376th and 100th infantry division supported by 23rd panzer division, result was that 124th was thrown few kilometers east during the day. In November 1942 124th was renamed to 50th Guards Rifle division

?

Great stuff!!! I am reading from my phone, so a little limited. Will check later from larger screen.

Truly, wifes are coming handy for many thing including historical research!

The unit you were in doubt looks to be 192 TGABr - Heavy Howitzer Artillery Brigade. His position is "Каптенармус" (capitaine d'armes in French) - a petty officer position responsible for ordnance and equipment distribution.
    Last edited by Egorka; 03-25-2018 at 09:04 PM.

?

Quote by Marinecollector42 View Post
    Some more... There's some text written under his wife adress but can't figure out what's that, probably something related to his discharge. (I've tried to make it as clear as possible, I will appreciate any help with translation).
    Those are 2 records about vaccination against tyfus and pox in August 1944.
    Last edited by Egorka; 03-25-2018 at 08:53 PM.

?

Quote by Marinecollector42 View Post
    There is also another unit with date 16th august 1944 (written with Purple pencil) but can't figure out what's written there.
    This one says: "2 battery, military unit 49592, cadet. 16.08.44"
    This means he was a cadet at 4 training artillery regiment. Fits well to his service later in 196 TGABr.

The last few lines say: "The military oath taken on 06/08/1944. Commander of 10 company, 8 rifle battalion Lieutenant signature KUSHAIKOV."

Quote by Egorka View Post
    Great stuff!!! I am reading from my phone, so a little limited. Will check later from larger screen.

Truly, wifes are coming handy for many thing including historical research!

The unit you were in doubt looks to be 192 TGABr - Heavy Howitzer Artillery Brigade. His position is "каптернамус" (capitaine d'armes in French) - a petty office position responsible for ordnance and equipment distribution.
    Indeed, without his wife I wouldn't be able to confirm identity of book' owner.
    Thank you for translation help Igor, if he was a cadet and later held position of ordance officer it looks like he was later promoted to officer rank, right?
    Just chcecked 196th heavy howitzer brigade history and it seems like he fought in Latvia and Estonia with this unit.

?

As I understand "Каптенармус" was an NCO position. So that is why he is called a cadet, I think.

Also, my understanding, is that the veteran was either captured and released alter or managed to avoid being POW altogether and snuck back home to Kharkov and lived with his wife. Why do I say it? Because it says, that he has a son who was born in 1944. The veteran was drafted on 17 July 1944 from by Dergachev district military commissariat. I am quite sure, he was drafted immediately (1-3 days later) after the territory was liberated by RKKA.
    So, my point, is that his some must had been conceived in the first half of 1944 or earlier. This supports the option, that he was living on the occupied territory.
    On the other hand the link between him and the guy who was MIA in 1943 is very strong - this is the same person.
    Wha a story! :-) What do you think?

I also found the combat journal of 124 RD describing the dramatic event around 07 July 1943 when so many men were KIA and MIA.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast