Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast

Hungarian "Cold War" Collection 1945 - 1990

Article about: It's the same cotton-filled material which the Red Army introduced in WW2 (Telogreika), which was excellent against the cold - and possibly was more fire-poof... QUOTE=Scout;937204]Nice find

?

very intersting thread

you've very nice items

@+, hughes

?

1956 Revolution Army wool hat - interesting piece...
    It's an M49 or M50 wool army hat ("Hungarian Bocskai" style) made in 1956 (see stamp), but during the revolution, the 2 buttons were replaced with pre-1949 "Tildy Government" buttons and the red star badge was also replaced with 1930s-1940s WW2 era badge. ( That badge worth more than the hat itself )
    Size is 56. (my dummy's head-size is 57-58)

Hungarian "Cold War" Collection 1945 - 1990Hungarian "Cold War" Collection 1945 - 1990Hungarian "Cold War" Collection 1945 - 1990Hungarian "Cold War" Collection 1945 - 1990Hungarian "Cold War" Collection 1945 - 1990Hungarian "Cold War" Collection 1945 - 1990

very nice m47 fabe ,i always thought it was called the m1935/38 unless its an earlier model i think of ,apart from the liner rivit placement to the rear of the vent and the rivited rear mounting bracket its hard to tell the differance between the german m35 ,will it be possible for you to find the m33 ,the Austro-Hungarian version of the german m16 to add to your collection ,i also like the referance picture especially with the ppsh 41 can i ask did hungary manufacture there own licenced copy or were they soviet issue through and through ,as for the m70 still in use ,ive found this picture you might like ,Hungarian "Cold War" Collection 1945 - 1990

?

A great looking lid with the very distinctive attachment point in the back. I like those a lot.

Super interesting historic B&W pic as well.

Great contributions with some interesting artifacts and info seldom seen, as I have mentioned before. Keep up the good work.

Good to hear, that you have lots more!

?

THX James...Yes, there are Hungarian PPS (with date of manufac. and a "Rákosi-Era" (1949-1956) national emblem crest - and today I just saw a Hungarian Nagant also (1952 made) for sale...wish I had more money this month. But to tell you the truth, I don't really want to buy old weapons here in Hungary or in EU, for they butcher the pieces (weld, cutting, etc.)

The story behind the M35 helmet...
    The Germans sold the license for the shell, but for some reason, they refused to sell the liner license...So we had to design our own liner (which was leather, and NOT atrificial leather) and also added the extra bracket (the troops used it to mount the helmet to the backpack).
    Hungary made high quality, massive shells, (like the German M35) - when the Finnish Army asked the Germans for helmets, Hungary ended up shipping out a whole bunch for them...
    These are being sold now by the US comp. IMA...

Quote by James C View Post
    very nice m47 fabe ,i always thought it was called the m1935/38 unless its an earlier model i think of ,apart from the liner rivit placement to the rear of the vent and the rivited rear mounting bracket its hard to tell the differance between the german m35 ,will it be possible for you to find the m33 ,the Austro-Hungarian version of the german m16 to add to your collection ,i also like the referance picture especially with the ppsh 41 can i ask did hungary manufacture there own licenced copy or were they soviet issue through and through ,as for the m70 still in use ,ive found this picture you might like ,Hungarian "Cold War" Collection 1945 - 1990

?

Quote by Fabe View Post
    THX James...Yes, there are Hungarian PPS (with date of manufac. and a "Rákosi-Era" (1949-1956) national emblem crest - and today I just saw a Hungarian Nagant also (1952 made) for sale...wish I had more money this month. But to tell you the truth, I don't really want to buy old weapons here in Hungary or in EU, for they butcher the pieces (weld, cutting, etc.)
    Ditto

Quote by Fabe View Post
    The story behind the M35 helmet...
    The Germans sold the license for the shell, but for some reason, they refused to sell the liner license...So we had to design our own liner (which was leather, and NOT atrificial leather) and also added the extra bracket (the troops used it to mount the helmet to the backpack).
    Hungary made high quality, massive shells, (like the German M35) - when the Finnish Army asked the Germans for helmets, Hungary ended up shipping out a whole bunch for them...
    These are being sold now by the US comp. IMA...
    Loads of new and interesting info on the M35 and M47 'Tildy,' thanks

Were there any protest street posters and leaflets produced by opponents of the government during the 1956 Uprising?
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

?

The pic of the soldier armed with the PPSh prompted me to dig out these two pics.

One very well known pic of the teen Erika Szeles (R.I.P.) snapped by a press photog from Denmark.

I assume the PPSh was made in Hungary on a liscence?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Hungarian "Cold War" Collection 1945 - 1990   Hungarian "Cold War" Collection 1945 - 1990  

?

Ok, one more update for today...the evolution of the cold war Hungarian Officers' "Ushanka" winter hat...

Here is the early (not sure if they called M50 or not - but came into service in 1949-1950) version...heavy wool with artificial fur. Interesting piece (I couldn't belive my luck when I picked this up), for instead of a regular army badge - it has a very rare State Police (AVÓ- AVH) badge...The two side of ear-warmers were attached with a string on top.
    Made in 1951 - size 56.
    Hungarian "Cold War" Collection 1945 - 1990Hungarian "Cold War" Collection 1945 - 1990Hungarian "Cold War" Collection 1945 - 1990Hungarian "Cold War" Collection 1945 - 1990Hungarian "Cold War" Collection 1945 - 1990Hungarian "Cold War" Collection 1945 - 1990Hungarian "Cold War" Collection 1945 - 1990

Then came the M65 Ushanka - This one is wool also...but not as heavy (it's true, the older the gear, the better they made them).
    It has a M1958 (M58) officer's badge (gold) - with the earwarmers still attached with a string on top. The artificial fur feels smoother...
    Made in 1972 - size 56.
    Hungarian "Cold War" Collection 1945 - 1990Hungarian "Cold War" Collection 1945 - 1990Hungarian "Cold War" Collection 1945 - 1990Hungarian "Cold War" Collection 1945 - 1990Hungarian "Cold War" Collection 1945 - 1990Hungarian "Cold War" Collection 1945 - 1990Hungarian "Cold War" Collection 1945 - 1990

This one is the "newest" one made in the 1970s until around 2000 - Not made of wool, but a thick fabric, maybe cotton. The side-flaps/earwarmers are attached with a button (plastic or bakelite) - no ink-stamps in these, just a small white tag with red number indicating the size - 56 for this one. This one has a M58 Deputy Officer's badge (silver) - these badges were used from 1958 until 1990. I'll get a few more ushankas in the next few months (in fact I have one already - used by the "Munkásőr" devision - The "Peoples' militiamen or Workers' militamen - which was grey with a single red star badge, but I'll get a privates (green) and sailor's (blue) and a border-guard's ushanka - and will take photos all in once. Last photo is all 3 side-by-side...
    Hungarian "Cold War" Collection 1945 - 1990Hungarian "Cold War" Collection 1945 - 1990Hungarian "Cold War" Collection 1945 - 1990Hungarian "Cold War" Collection 1945 - 1990Hungarian "Cold War" Collection 1945 - 1990

Cheers,
    Fabe

?

yes, Hungarian PPS...I'll try to find some pics.

Quote by Scout View Post
    The pic of the soldier armed with the PPSh prompted me to dig out these two pics.

One very well known pic of the teen Erika Szeles (R.I.P.) snapped by a press photog from Denmark.

I assume the PPSh was made in Hungary on a liscence?

Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast