MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hungarian helmets

Article about: Hi Fellow collectors , here are examples of my Hungarian helmets,the first example is the M-50 which as can be seen by the pictures provided is in excellent condition, the second example is

?

Default Hungarian helmets

Hi Fellow collectors , here are examples of my Hungarian helmets,the first example is the M-50 which as can be seen by the pictures provided is in excellent condition, the second example is the M50/70 which much improved suspension lining and chinstrap arrangement.I would value your opinions or comments

Hungarian helmets
    Hungarian helmets
    Hungarian helmets
    Hungarian helmets
    Hungarian helmets
    Hungarian helmets
    Hungarian helmets
    Hungarian helmets

Ah the dreaded M50 so often pushed as a ww2 soviet ssh40,but I've always liked them and deserve credit in there own right,thanks Bud for showing these quite overlooked historical items...............

?

Very nice - I like the Hungarian helmets as well, I own 11 pcs. of M50 and 2 pcs. of M70 helmets - your M50 is an early one made around 1952-1953 (most of the M50 helmets were made in these years, this was the time, when Stalin "suggested" (ordered) all East block countries to spend more (a lot more) on military and the army, for in 1954-1955, there will be a 3rd. world war. I have no doubt, that this was true, so he "had to die" in 1953 (some say, he was poisoned by Beria, Malenkov and Khrushchev). Also, that is why all the East block helmets looked the same...so in the war, everyone will know who's friend and foe. Nice "H.R." ink stamp on the padding (I belive it's short for "Military Depot")
    I also own Czech and Polish helmets from the 1950s - and I have to say, the Hungarian ones have the thickest metal, heavier than the others...

Starting in around 1960, the chin-straps were no longer sewed to the "D-rings", so rivets were used on the strap. Also, the padding were green in those 1960s helmets.
    See one of mine:

Hungarian "Cold War" Collection 1945 - 1990

I think I have enough M50/70 helmets, that soon I'll open a thread just for them...showing the different paint-jobs, etc.

Cheers,
    Fabe

?

Quote by ruddersrangers44 View Post
    Ah the dreaded M50 so often pushed as a ww2 soviet ssh40,but I've always liked them and deserve credit in there own right,thanks Bud for showing these quite overlooked historical items...............

Thanks Jake for your kind words, when I bought the M-50 I thought it was Russian, It was not until I got it home and carried out some research that I realised it was Hungarian, the M-70 when purchased I assumed was Polish ...I was wrong on both counts.. but then I was younger then and less wise

?

Quote by Fabe View Post
    Very nice - I like the Hungarian helmets as well, I own 11 pcs. of M50 and 2 pcs. of M70 helmets - your M50 is an early one made around 1952-1953 (most of the M50 helmets were made in these years, this was the time, when Stalin "suggested" (ordered) all East block countries to spend more (a lot more) on military and the army, for in 1954-1955, there will be a 3rd. world war. I have no doubt, that this was true, so he "had to die" in 1953 (some say, he was poisoned by Beria, Malenkov and Khrushchev). Also, that is why all the East block helmets looked the same...so in the war, everyone will know who's friend and foe. Nice "H.R." ink stamp on the padding (I belive it's short for "Military Depot")
    I also own Czech and Polish helmets from the 1950s - and I have to say, the Hungarian ones have the thickest metal, heavier than the others...

Starting in around 1960, the chin-straps were no longer sewed to the "D-rings", so rivets were used on the strap. Also, the padding were green in those 1960s helmets.
    See one of mine:

Hungarian "Cold War" Collection 1945 - 1990

I think I have enough M50/70 helmets, that soon I'll open a thread just for them...showing the different paint-jobs, etc.

Cheers,
    Fabe

Many thanks Fabe for looking and for your excellent information and background history, behind the evolution of these specific model of helmets. Specifically the information regarding the H.R. is useful to know as I was curious about that. I checked out your example with the green padding and that is intersting as I was again not aware of the differences.

I think you should start a thread for these model of helmets, it would be great to see the unique of of them all

very nice pairing gary so the model 1950 can i ask if there is a legible date stamp on the liner pads at all ,i would say this is a very early and desirable helmet in its own right and would display very nicely alongside a soviet Ssh40

?

Quote by James C View Post
    very nice pairing gary so the model 1950 can i ask if there is a legible date stamp on the liner pads at all ,i would say this is a very early and desirable helmet in its own right and would display very nicely alongside a soviet Ssh40
    Hi James, thanks for looking and for your query, to be honest the picture provided of the stamp is as clear as it gets and I do not understand the markings and what they represent. The helmet would look great displayed next to it's Russian equivalent but I do not own any Russian helmets...Yet!

ok no problem gary i wonder if fabe can help out here on deciphering the stamp ,i notice the liner pads on these seem to have different shades .im in ther opposite dilema ,i have as yet no hungarian helmets but i hope this will change soon ,the m70's on the other hand are cheaper than a few pints of beer ,the wafer biscuit liner pads look interesting ,cheers james

Im a fan of the Hungary M50, I like it because it's like a variation of the classic Russian M40, it does seem to be very strong and heavy , it's very well made

I wonder if these were supplied to North Vietnam during the VN war? I know they did have some Hungarian equipment and the Hungarian AMD-65 assault rifles.

the M50/70 does have an improved liner system and chin strap and is interesting varient, Ive seen several brought back from the Gulf wars once used by the Iraqi army.

?

I've never seen a Hungarian/Iraqi M70 helmet...but it would be a very cool thing to get in my collection.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast