Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Hungarian szent stvan orszem pin .....is it militaria

Article about: This is an enamelled pin which was included in some military pins, so I am not even sure its militaria. Heavily re soldered on back. Any info welcome as usual . Thanks !!

?

Default Hungarian szent stvan orszem pin .....is it militaria

This is an enamelled pin which was included in some military pins, so I am not even sure its militaria. Heavily re soldered on back. Any info welcome as usual . Thanks !!Hungarian szent stvan orszem pin .....is it militariaHungarian szent stvan orszem pin .....is it militaria

mpw
    ?

Could it be a Hungarian badge similar to a St Christopher?

Actually, it's "István" not "stvan": The letter "I" is formed by the bird's body. Szent István (Saint Stephen) was the first king of Hungary.

I did some googling for the phrase "Szent István őrszem", found that it translates as "Saint Stephen's Sentinel" and even came up with other specimens of the badge that were on sale. Apparently, it is wholly civilian in nature and has something to do with a Chicory Factory for children (?). See:

https://www.darabanth.com/hu/nagyarv...zoma~II998645/

Unfortunately, I don't speak a word of Hungarian and thus am very limited in my ability to do any actual research here (forget about online translators). Mayby a Hungarian speaker can be of help here.

?

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    Actually, it's "István" not "stvan": The letter "I" is formed by the bird's body. Szent István (Saint Stephen) was the first king of Hungary.

I did some googling for the phrase "Szent István őrszem", found that it translates as "Saint Stephen's Sentinel" and even came up with other specimens of the badge that were on sale. Apparently, it is wholly civilian in nature and has something to do with a Chicory Factory for children (?). See:

https://www.darabanth.com/hu/nagyarv...zoma~II998645/

Unfortunately, I don't speak a word of Hungarian and thus am very limited in my ability to do any actual research here (forget about online translators). Mayby a Hungarian speaker can be of help here.
    Hi all - just to be correct; the chicory factory gave these pins to children...not military item I'm afraid.