Become our sponsor and display your banner here

Warsaw Pact daggers

Article about: Good morning gents, I did look to see if I could find a thread on this subject but amonst the multitude of SS dagger threads I couldn't see one In the typical "Magpie" fashion of t

Default Warsaw Pact daggers

Good morning gents,

I did look to see if I could find a thread on this subject but amonst the multitude of SS dagger threads I couldn't see one

In the typical "Magpie" fashion of the general miltaria collector I often find small groups of widely differing items on the periphery of my collection.

The officers daggers of the Warsaw Pact appears to be one of those groups and my knowledge of the subject could really do with some improvement. So, I wonder if there is interest here in discussing the subject?

Here are general images of the few that I have and if there is interest I will show detailled individual images and we can maybe all learn something;

Warsaw Pact daggersWarsaw Pact daggers

My first question would be, does anyone know whether the Czech and Hungarian forces used officers daggers during the WP period? I have never seen any.

Regards

Mark
    PS I have belts to go with all except the Polish ones. Any Ideas?
    Last edited by Watchdog; 06-12-2019 at 12:15 PM. Reason: ps
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

I put an NVA dagger (in velvet lined wooden presentation case, and complete with engraved inscription) on here a while ago Mark, but apart from the few DDR collectors on here, it attracted little attention. The daggers (and belts) do appear on 'eBay de' in spite of the rules, but they are stripped of the blades - or blades hidden, and sold as 'parts'... although you do get the blade with them.

Cheers,
    Steve
    Author of... 'Belfast Diaries: A Gunner In Northern Ireland'... 'A Tough Nut To Crack: Andersonstown.. Voices From 9 Battery Royal Artillery In Northern Ireland'... 'An Accrington Pal: The Diaries of Pte Jack Smallshaw, September 1914 To March 1919'.... 'A Salford Pal: Pte Thomas Jay.'

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    I put an NVA dagger (in velvet lined wooden presentation case, and complete with engraved inscription) on here a while ago Mark, but apart from the few DDR collectors on here, it attracted little attention. The daggers (and belts) do appear on 'eBay de' in spite of the rules, but they are stripped of the blades - or blades hidden, and sold as 'parts'... although you do get the blade with them.

Cheers,
    Steve
    Hi Steve, yes I saw your dagger and was quite envious when you recounted how you came by it especially when I recalled the markets of Berin circa 1990!!
    I have noted the ebay.de ads selling the daggers "without blade" and had assumed the it was a method of circumvention of the hypocritical policies there.

Let's see if we can provoke some debate here!

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."