Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

12 inch sword with metal sheath

Article about: i hope this is right forum and i am new as to owning anything like this but can any one help me this has no markings and i can not tell if its a reproduction or real thanks

?

Default 12 inch sword with metal sheath

i hope this is right forum and i am new as to owning anything like this but can any one help me this has no markings and i can not tell if its a reproduction or real thanks

?

Default Re: 12 inch sword with metal sheath

Very poorly made. Has a crude cast handle on the blade and the scabbard looks like it was put together in someones garage.
    The soldering of the crest on the scabbard is as poorly done as I have ever seen, as are the solders on the rest of it.
    Definitly a home made do it yourself fantasy piece.
    If you can get your money back I would do it. ASAP

?

hi thanks i almost thought it looked so rough that it was possibly done a long time ago as it was a primitive job and looked so rough

?

Craftsmen from 2500 BCE were much better than the boob that slapped that thing together.
    That being said. Look at some ancient weapons on Google or Ask Jeeves as many different ones that you can find.
    The Confederates put some crude blades together during the Civil War but they were 1000 times better that what you got stuck with friend.
    I realize it is very difficult when you are new. There is no point of reference to compare with because of lack of experience.
    Try to reaserch as many types of blades as you can. German Daggers is a good place to study WWII German blades.
    Nihonto Message Board • Index page for ancient Japanese swords.
    There are other sword forums out there I just don't know how many.
    The key word is RESEARCH sir.

?

thanks for the info i got these 3 items for $45 so i understand reaserch and thanks for your input i appreciate it

?

The top piece is part of a serving set from Thailand. 1950's/60's
    The bottom bayonet I can't make out it is to dark to tell.
    Take a better picture of it outside in the sunlight out of the scabbard next to it and post it in the Bayonets and trench knives of the world section under World firearms,ordnance,trench edged weapons.

Another clue, in addition to the overall quality of the workmanship (or lack of it) is the date on the blade. Dates do appear on legit items (e.g. the patent dates on the UK and Canadian 1907s), and may be etched on a presentation piece, but a date on its own like "1821" screams "intent to deceive".

Good luck with your collecting, Toady8.

Pat

The initial item posted looks very much like the 'made in India' junk that is peddled to tourists in the various Souqs around the Gulf. Muscat Souq in Oman being a wonderful place to sort through piles of 'originals' whilst trying to find something that has 1/2 a chance.

?

china junk

Hi
    I am fairly sure that your initial piece is a tourist dagger from Crete or somewhere in the eastern Med . I remember buying one almost identical on a cruise when I was a teenager in the 60s.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast